Off Track Training

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Track Training

Going to post a quick overview of the new Off Track Training.

I just bred a yearling colt named Ott Ott Baby

Went through the normal training techniques and got him down to the 1.09.33-1.09.36 area.

First we are going to begin the Off Track Training on him.

Here is the layout of the Off Track Training page.

Here is the best work so far for Ott Ott Baby
    12Jul18 Calder DD Dirt fst 6.0f 22.73 45.90 1:09.33 1 1 1 1 Curatolo R(P) BV 120 hbt 1

Let's do some gate training and see if we can improve him.

I went ahead and trained on the gate training twice, slid the slider to +2 and saved. Now let's see how he works.
    12Jul18 Calder DD Dirt fst 6.0f 22.59 45.68 1:09.27 1 1 1 1 Curatolo R(P) BV 120 hbt

Compared to
    12Jul18 Calder DD Dirt fst 6.0f 22.73 45.90 1:09.33 1 1 1 1 Curatolo R(P) BV 120 hbt 1

Notice the great improvement of the first split and general improvement overall.

Hope this helps to explain a bit more of the Off Track Training. It may be a bit daunting at first but once you play around with it and experiment with the sliders it should be a useful tool to help improve your horses some. It probably won't change a dud to a Triple Crown winner but it may save some from the glue factory.

Best of luck.

B.
    Last edited by Cold Dog Soup; 07-12-2018, 02:58 AM.
    ** at 21:06, Brian joined the Lobby...
    Brian Ta Das...

https://www.facebook.com/digitaldowns.us
    https://twitter.com/Digitaldowns_US

I may have missed a few things but this should give you the general idea of how the OTT works.

B.
    Brian Ta Das...

Comment

So you have to save first before hitting the train now button on your chosen slider?????

Comment

No you hit the train button move you slider then save. I think they also reset after another train so after training will have to set them where you want then save. Sorry if i was confusing.
        Brian Ta Das...

Comment

Oh i see when i said dont forget to save before training i meant before a timed workout.
          Brian Ta Das...

Comment

is this just for new horses?
            The King Has Spoken

Comment

it's only for yearlings G

Comment

OK let me see if I have this right B

These are only meters to set that affect the timed works? These aren't actually works themselves?
                First you click the train now button to unlock the meter?
                Second you set the meter where you want it?
                Third you click the save button to save the meter setting?
                Fourth you go to regular training and train your horse?

Does the meter stay at that setting so that you can say for example train that same setting on push and
                steady, etc. without using up another training bar?

If I remember correctly I think Lone mentioned that once the horse turns 2yo this option on training disappears. Do the meters then stay as last set so that you are locked into those settings for racing?
                Last edited by And More Racing Stable; 07-12-2018, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by And More Racing Stable View Post
                  OK let me see if I have this right B

These are only meters to set that affect the timed works? These aren't actually works themselves?
                  First you click the train now button to unlock the meter?
                  Second you set the meter where you want it?
                  Third you click the save button to save the meter setting?
                  Fourth you go to regular training and train your horse? All Correct

Does the meter stay at that setting so that you can say for example train that same setting on push and
                  steady, etc. without using up another training bar? Yes they should.

If I remember correctly I think Lone mentioned that once the horse turns 2yo this option on training disappears. Do the meters then stay as last set so that you are locked into those settings for racing?
                  They should as well. Would be pointless if you cant take advantage of the training on the track. I'm sure we will test it at season change to make certain.

Brian Ta Das...

Comment

So if, theoretically, you wanted to race a horse with different styles say quicker out of the gate in sprints but slower from the gate with more endurance at slightly longer distance you wouldn't be able to change settings so you are stuck with what you last set?

Comment

.....If you read my post about this a while back, I am spot-on......I will recapitulate my earlier statement......I figured it out....I am correct with my analysis.

...Best of luck --> It's more control, a LITTLE more talent, and a lot of insight into the mechanics of other aspects of the game, if you consider that the new OTT runs in the same architecture as our other horses....

Try it. It's like stepping on the dirt at 4:30 AM and actually "teaching our yearlings" to run at their best....I am screaming this from atop Pike's Peak!

The Mighty Orb
                      - Orb Farms

Comment

For your convenience, read slowly:

First things first, (and you did not mention this, but I will: This is not a "de facto Free Geld"....It is a subtle means to get more out of your yearling by adjusting how he/she runs..... Looking for a .50 second change is not the idea, but .05 to .15 is attainable, with a more realistic set of splits to achieve victory) With a larger sample size, improvements likely could rise twofold to my example perhaps....I don't know just yet.

Here is how I see it, and anyone (including admin) can correct me, but I am 98% certain I completely understand the little nuances that OTT affords us, and I personally LOVE messing around widdit!

Let me offer you an example:

I have a yearling named Kylian Mbappe:

Facts:
                        1. She is one of those horse we get, where he/she goes out SUPER fast....let's say fractions as a 4-5 F sprinter exclusively 21.90 - 44.50
                        2. She can only get the short sprints. Splits are QUICK, with no endurance and likely a fading stretch run at 5f & beyond....

2A. I take to the Off Track Training with the goal of making her a BETTER SHORT SPRINTER...I am not and cannot re-train her into a Router for instance, thru this tool.....My goal is to prepare her - as her trainer - to accentuate her sprint skills in the best way possible.

We now have the capacity to make subtle changes thru our own efforts, to train via OTT, keep more horses on the track, and ultimately win more races/purses!

So:

3. I make the assumption that she has ZERO problems getting out of the gate....In fact, when I increase Gate Training, she gets WORSE.....So I can leave it at +/- 0, (However, changing and saving gate training all the way down to - 1 (and saving + testing via time trials) made her worse) i.e. her "best" attribute is level-set at zero for me....

4. Now I need to see if I can make her a little better by INCREASING Endurance, and probably Strength... I like to think of it as training a horse with incredible speed for instance, to allow the jock to hold the reigns a little tighter thru the first half mile

5. I tested ONE AT A TIME, increasing ONLY endurance first up one notch, from +/- 0 to +1 & clicked Save (I click save ten times because I am OCD)....Got better final time....Then I train ( AND SAVED) at endurance + 2....a little sacrifice in the lightning fast 1/4 and 1/2 splits, but a better FINAL time. Tried again by going to ULT after saving at +2 and evaluated splits and final time accordingly.....

6. Then I did the same thing (now I have "level-set and saved the first two OTT --> for Endurance and Gate already by now) --> and I moved to Strength OTT.....

7. I tested one at a time by moving the STRENGTH bar this time up to +1, SAVED, ran a time trial a few times.....then tried STRENGTH +2 performed same sequence.

You have to find the "sweet spot" for every given horse.... Some will be more "dramatic" (and none are truly dramatic....you REALLY must look at splits and final time)....Not every change will stick out like Arazi in the 1991 Breeder's Cup Juvenile..... The more noticeable changes will be the horse we breed who clearly come out Such as 21.90 (Good gate skill) or 22.70 46.00 1:09.40 (Good endurance, but no gate speed).

I was able to means-test Kylian Mbappe from 1:09.14 to 1:09.03... by changing the way she runs.... I will take that extra tenth ANY DAY! (and her better days will be spent on the drag strip, maybe a short one-turn race)...

I hope this makes sense, and if I made it worse, I have a headache too (but not from OTT....from the DAMN heat and humidity down here in the Rio Grande Valley! LOL

One final thought - We must remember that this is a SKILL game, not a slot machine/game of chance....or perhaps better said, the skill-element is more conducive to winning, rather than relying on "luck of the draw". I just won a race with a horse who can only achieve 1:09.12 to 1:09.14 on the ULT, but I can illustrate to you many examples of my sub-1:08.85 horses who couldn't play "dead in a western".... They have to run a race if they are in the neighborhood....and with this tool, we can bring more horses "to the neighborhood"....

My best,

Orb
                        - Orb Farms

Comment

Q.what happens to your yearlings ability if you dont get to use the o.t.t before they turn 2yr olds ?

Comment

Originally posted by Extreme Studs View Post
                            Q.what happens to your yearlings ability if you dont get to use the o.t.t before they turn 2yr olds ?
                            Wow sorry I missed this question . If OTT is not used then you lose the ability to fine tune , but the horse stays the same as in previous seasons . Thanks
                            Admin.

Comment

All good bud thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X