Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 year old breeding

Hey Everyone

I've bred 12 yearlings so far and most of them have champ numbers.... and to be honest it wasnt all that hard to do, and I've noticed the same with others by just looking at the daily workout page and talking to others in the chat room.

​I don't want to be a party pooper here on everyone's breeding parade and I sure don't want Lone thinking I'm negative here but yearlings being produced at a very high rate with monster times so far across the board worries me.

The bar has been set very high if so many yearlings have all these fast numbers. Is the old 1:09.00 now 1:08.80?? Is the old 1:35.90 now 1:35.70 are the expectations a lot higher now for TTs

I'd like some feed back from others, that have bred yearlings and let us know how you are doing?

Cheers
    John
    Last edited by Greeko Holdem; 04-10-2017, 10:37 PM.

You are right. I have started killing off anything that can't get under 1:09
    "There's a fine line between winning and losing... it's called The Finish Line"

Comment

well I have only bred several yearlings so far and I wouldn't worry about the training times being so fast, mine will bring that average back in line. All of mine are pedestrian at best and I am not wasting any money on shoes for this crop.
      STAR OF THE DESERT STABLE
      LAS VEGAS, NEVADA, USA
      HANDICAPPING DUD

Comment

It depends....It seems like if you have COLTS and FILLIES, they have a decent shot.....Geldings, not so much in many cases....as LOTS of gelding yearlings get to those numbers...LOTS of them.

I will tell you this Greeko, I had one season with over 30 horses running sub 108.90, and it was my most frustrating season to date.....Probably my biggest frustration season of them all.

Remember, workout numbers are funny things..... I happen to have about 60-65% ROUTERS, and I am THRILLED at the 2:18.47 and 2:03.85 numbers I see for a filly yearling......But I would recommend THIS, and I actually learned this from HIPODROMO of all places:

Run some of them against each other in a multi-train, and see what happens. The best of the bunch will stick out.

There is no SEED CHANGE in raising the bar....this happens EVERY season with MOST trainers, in terms of sickly-GOOD yearling workouts....It is almost "dare I say" normal? Of course, like Burky said with his experience to date, as well as my sprinter mare bred to a pure sprinter Stallion, with sprints ALL over the pedigree, and a LLLLONG router comes out as a yearling....I caution using yearling workouts as your expectation bar......

The season I referenced with 20-25 superstar-type workouts, 2 out of those 20-25 horses won first out. ALL of the geldings underperformed.

Just my experience, not my opinion.

Look at the bloodlines, and Try not to geld......If i could give advice, it would be to place added emphasis on those 2 things!

GL Greek!

Orb
        - Orb Farms

Comment

Working...
        X