Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preakness Winner went unclaimed

So we had the Preakness Winner (Gone to Sleep) unclaimed for 20K

Just wondering why people didn't claim this horse???

20K for the Preakness winner sounds like a good deal.

I'm curious to hear some reasons why people didn't pick him up
    Last edited by Greeko Holdem; 07-29-2017, 12:43 AM.

Greeks,

Norm knows he is a 3 year old gelded create, who won early in his career. It was perhaps a "missed" good purchase.......But in the eyes of the community, create geldings have their challenges eventually.... and carry the same value as breeding 3 new horses with HOT breeders......That is the collective viewpoint nowadays.....So, why is this? I dunno! We all want to "name our horse" I guess, or breed "the next champion". Even you bought Temple and profitted a bit from him over time, but when you look at Temple from the time you bought him, he took up perhaps $1000k in working capital, to earn back $1.5k, a Big investment that only owners with deeper pockets can absorb that drip drip of clean, smart profit you made!

HOWEVER, The creates that are kept as Colts for breeding, or speedy filly creates would be claimed for 3x that if they won the same race....and this sort of makes me wonder.....it levels a LOT of breeding work done by hard working breeders like Royal Oaks, TnT, Norm, etc..... and of course, they are not endorsing my argument here, but.....

*************** I am going to make a crazy proposal, but HEAR me Out!!!! ************

Get rid of creates. This will focus on REAL bloodlines, real breeding value, and we can actually, possibly LEASE/SELL some of our breeders!!!!

If there is a gap left in the REAL horses that cannot be fulfilled by the THOUSANDS of breeders we collectively own, such as mare gate speed, stamina, etc.... then that is something we will have to use from our breeding shed.

Stables like Greeko, myself, and of course the other big boys (and girls) are ALWAYS welcoming newcomers with open arms, with our breeders.

Just something to think about, to focus on REAL horses......Of course, this would hurt me as much as anyone, as some of my best breeders are creates through my years......but it is always something I wondered about across the site.

Orb

- Orb Farms

Comment

I know it's brash and ridiculous in theory now, as in TODAY.......But it is something to consider as a chess piece that could be modified down the road. Natural balance and SMALL changes make the site more robust.......I was just thinking over my morning iced coffee

Orb
      - Orb Farms

Comment

Orb is kinda correct. There is no claiming market for 3yo gelded Creates at 20K and above. He certainly is no Temple of Sakkara being restricted to route races only and even then he had one start at 12f and found it too far. So he is limited to 10f/11f. I believe he is destined to run in 20K Claimers or lower at some stage. I just don't believe he is a champion. If someone wants to take a punt there is value in him in higher races then good luck to them.

Getting rid of Creates was a topic of days long ago, way before the current owner of the site and it was turned down. I believe there is a need for them to introduce new bloodlines. Although I can see the benefit of breeders offered to new players.

My brash and perhaps ridiculous suggestion is Why do we have geldings? If there were no geldings, the claiming game would become more interesting. If you look at most claimers they are 90% geldings which nobody wants.

Just a thought

Norm
        "There's a fine line between winning and losing... it's called The Finish Line"

Comment

Norm: Without geldings the races would not fill all. If you breed a colt and he can't break 1:09 he will never see the track, at least with gelding, if it improves the horse, you have a runner that can win you some races.
          STAR OF THE DESERT STABLE
          LAS VEGAS, NEVADA, USA
          HANDICAPPING DUD

Comment

Very interesting thought there Trunoble, Im trying to picture the effects it would make. (1) What you see is what you get. (2) Everyone would be able to tap into others breed line making it easier for new stables to start there own line. (3) I shoot more F horses then I do C because I have the Geld to fall back on and get a claimer at least most of the time, so this would even out the retired horses. (4) I think it would make it so stables would start racing horses with numbers like 109.00, 122.15, 136.00 ect,,,. (5) Your Idea would change the whole claimer game for sure!

Would be very interesting to test. really got me thinking.

Comment

getting rid of geldings is not realistic but we could give Geldings a 1 lb weight allowance, just like fillies getting the 2 lbs

Comment

I forgot one, Gelded horses have a large advantage over C & F horses because they have no value other then what they can win on track so placing them in higher claimers shows very little risk. Where a un-geld horse (C) won't take the chance to be claimed and only enters high end races showing less wins then a geld horse. JMO

Comment

if you give geldings a weight allowance then they will be more valuable on the track

Comment

Gelding is a tough decision to make for some colts . I have never owned a real race horse , but I wonder what the owners think when they are deciding to geld or not .
                    Admin.

Comment

Lone look at it this way m8 pretend you are a horses and l was the owner there will be no thinking about that you will get geld on the spot Lone lmao

Comment

DANG Q
                        Admin.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Star Stables View Post
                          Gelding is a tough decision to make for some colts . I have never owned a real race horse , but I wonder what the owners think when they are deciding to geld or not .
                          I can only speak for Australia where the majority of male racers are geldings which is done to calm down high spirits of the colts to keep them more focused. Trainers will quickly suggest it so that training is easier. A lot of debate nowadays whether it is needed or not.

Norm
                          "There's a fine line between winning and losing... it's called The Finish Line"

Comment

Lone DANG Q what did l say m8 lmao

Comment

Q this one's for you

Comment

Working...
                              X