YEARLING BREEDS..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YEARLING BREEDS..

Ive always enjoyed breeding a few yearlings, and was just wondering if anyone else does. I didnt breed any for the current season because of time and financial restrictions, plus ive been a bit " spotty" with my DD time. Ive been ducking in and out of the site this season. With the opinion of the great breeders on the site in mind, what are the beliefs, advantage's and disadvantage's of this facet of the game. I would like to strengthen my breeding program somehow, i think it is one of the poorer parts of my game....thanks to all, PM me if you want...or go public....

Yearlings are a hit or miss in the game. You either love them or hate them.
    I'm not going to comment on what I think about yearlings, because we have people here on both sides of the fence.

I personally....

breed 2 year olds early in the season and late in season.

breed a handful of yearlings

buy 3 year old creates mostly over 2 year old creates

race 3 year old creates versus bred horses

claim horses with good bloodlines in any class for future breeding

claim creates in any class that show speed on the track

kill horses that don't produce after 4 races unless they have good pedigree

kill geldings after 3 races that don't produce

try not to geld
    Last edited by Greeko Holdem; 10-14-2017, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Greeko clearly has a GREAT recipe for success of above....a simplified set of roughly 10 things that can turn Anyone from casual player into "career mode" within 2-3 seasons.

Too add to John's contribution, I would say the following:

1. DO NOT GELD your very good bloodline horses, with RARE exception of POOR overall performance and workouts (in which case I simply don't race them). Many of us will tell you over and over that 1.09.02 horses with GREAT breeding OFTEN.....OFTEN (are you hearing me) can WIN Maiden races over Gelded horses with the better 1.08.89 workouts, but have WORSE breeding.

I have a 3 year old colt who is STILL a maiden - Wallaby - and I am excited to see if his bloodlines turn him into a good breeder....so I resist the Geld...not sure if I get another opportunity to breed to Smokin Joey, so I keep this one alive for breeding (no geld).

I reflected back on why I was always feeling so rotten in my first few seasons, despite my what I thought was a good barn..... I was Gelding to win, but my breeding shed would only carry 4.......6.....maybe 7 combined breeder-eligible horses from the previous season. Today, My 35 horses that I consider my "regular rotation" consists of 18 Fillies, 14 Colts, and 3 Geldings....After a few modifications to my racing strategy and analysis, I am back to winning north of the 30% clip I usually set as my seasonal benchmark.

When an opportunity arises, I think it is wise to investigate on offers for purchases and auctions, and POUNCE on them if the price is right. There are owners out there who made their living through a private sale or public auction....I personally bought an outfit, and it Tripled my breeding system with some STAR bloodlines....Sons and Daughters of Light Show, Ecko, Troll Cody, Ribot, Varys, Colonel Troll, and other Legends of the game.

As far as your question about yearlings - I do not believe this has a tremendous impact on the overall big picture, so long as you are consistently following the other things John mentioned above. Experimenting with breeding through the season and at the end of the season, I tend to NOT put my eggs in one breeding basket. I breed mostly 2 year olds, simply because they can be bred all season long.

Good Luck!
      Orb

- Orb Farms

Comment

Thank you John, and also to you Orb for your replies. After reading them closely it is apparant to me that there may well be several deficiencies in the breeding component of my game. Which just goes to show that even long time advocates of Digital Downs, like myself, never stop learning the ropes here. Thanks for the input gentlemen...and good luck to you both..Shane

Comment

Working...
        X