Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Season 39 Championship Series

Lone:

I think I like the new format a lot, I think it will increase field sizes by requiring 15 points for entry into the finals.
    STAR OF THE DESERT STABLE
    LAS VEGAS, NEVADA, USA
    HANDICAPPING DUD

Like I told Lone earlier I like most of the plan. My only concern is the late foals and will they run in the q races if they only have two races to get enough points to reach 15. My filly Tarynowesnorm born Nov 22 ran in both classic and route q races after she was born. Winning one of each and making both finals but she got 11 and 16 points. So while winning a q race she still would not make the final with next season's plan. Therefore I am doubtful that I would enter any of my late season foals in the last few q races. So the 15 point minimum could be hurtful in that respect. I would not be happy with a q race winner and running in both q races that I was born for and getting top 12 point totals and not being able to run. So I would have to think twice to entering in the first place. Just something for yall to think about.
    Eddie

Comment

My goal is to push the finals purses higher . If you can qualify with less then 15 points then the purse will be weak . If you look at the finals this season only the finals with all horses that have over 15 points are much better . If the final has a few horses under 15 points the purses are weaker. For example the 3yo and up colt is only 182k .only 4 horses have 15+ points . I think its better for the finals purse to have a 4 horse race instead of 12 horses splitting the purse . It should also motivate more trainers to run more horses in qualifiers . .
      Admin.

Comment

As someone who has entered my fair share of qualifiers and horses that didnt make the finals, the 15 point minimum makes sense for the 3yr and up but I am just saying the late breed 2yr will not be entered by some me included because you cant get to 15. Could also hurt the late breeding cause lets say I dont have something in the finals I would breed hoping I got something to run with the new proposal I not sure I would. I could be out on a limb by myself but I just giving my thoughts.

Comment

I would have to agree with Eddie. It might increase participation early in the season and maybe that's enough but it will probably hurt late season participation. I also think it could have a negative effect on late season breeding. Whenever you run a breeding sale in the second half of the season the main reason to breed is for another try at Q's but if you eliminate the possibility of qualifying then what is the incentive to breed last half of the season?

Comment

Not hard to get 15 points in the last two races. If we have big fields. If they are 7 horse fields good luck.

Maybe we can increase the points if you win or are runner up in the race..
            Last edited by Greeko Holdem; 12-09-2017, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Very true Greeko. Look at the way races split you have 12 entered winner gets 13 points very nice but say you have 14 entered races splits winner gets 8 points not so good to get to 15 in a short period of time. I will say again fine idea for the older horses. But maybe you could say if not 12 horses with 15 points a q race winner gets in. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Taylorandtaryn View Post
                Very true Greeko. Look at the way races split you have 12 entered winner gets 13 points very nice but say you have 14 entered races splits winner gets 8 points not so good to get to 15 in a short period of time. I will say again fine idea for the older horses. But maybe you could say if not 12 horses with 15 points a q race winner gets in. Just a thought.
                ​I have an idea...

Lets have an option to buy the points to get in...

Say your horse ends up with 11 or 12 points but is in the top 12.

I don't know what that cost would be , but it could be 5 bucks per point to reach the magic number of 15 points, and those credits would go towards the purse and your horse would be eligible.

Any thoughts of buying points to get in if your horse is ranked in the top 12 but doesn't have the 15 points???

Last edited by Greeko Holdem; 12-09-2017, 02:00 PM.

Comment

I think the setup could work...
                  I have a few thoughts....

The setup could reduce the Q purses. Right now I think some horses enter Q races, off champ distance, for a shot at a good pot. Lower Q purse could make this option unattractive and thus reducing field size and a potential chain effect. Adding a few BC could fix this if it ever become an issue. Probably would be fine tho.

I hear and agree with Eddie on the late season horses...Greeko idea, I think, could help fix this. I personally would prefer a fix buyin, say 25,000? to start if the horse is in top 12 with less than 15 points.

One thing though, it will make the series more competitive from the start.

Comment

a Lot of horses are only good for 2-3 CAREER races, and then suddenly they become claimers.....so I like it, because it splits out the horses that can only be good for 2, perhaps 3 races from becoming anomaly winners. And we all know that about half or more of our better horses suddenly fall off a cliff after showing tremendous workouts and track performance in their first 2 races.
                    Regardless, a more consistent race pattern for a higher percentage of horses would help......85% or more horses should have a sensibly-programmed "performance floor and ceiling", rather than an insane spike for 2 races, and a cliff-dive for the balance of their season.

With your new qualifier system, the horses who are actually good across the season get in to the finals.....Late arrivals can Win a Qualifier, finish top 3 in the next, Geld, and possibly win...As opposed to the other horses who spent $12k x 5 or 6 races = $60 to $72.....Season-Long entrants - They have to WIN the Finals Race to break even!

One suggestion - Make breeding on a sliding scale, somehow to get MOST of the breeding done earlier in the season. The Keenland yearling sale is the KEY to real racing, and somehow there should be emphasis on breeding in a more traditional, early season pattern. Even if stables have to go into a margin-situation to produce offspring, it should be for the purpose of building early-season stables with a "Yearling-Producing" first month.

That is not to say that breeding can't be used all season long, but the lion's share should be in the beginning of the season.

Further, I would rather a bad horse be a bad horse, EVEN with the 1:08.72 workouts. Having these horses run and beat Division company in their first race, win a Qualifier in their second race, and then drop all the way to claimers and even gelding after 5 races is something that always causes frustration and less entertainment value. A horse's ability should not fade into oblivion overnight, and with this one small change would provoke a LOT less head-scratching...... It will go a long way to much more sensible race patterns for owners.

not perfect, but my thoughts,
                    Orb
                    - Orb Farms

Comment

Working...
                    X