So age change is upon us

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So age change is upon us

So I have seen all the post trying to explain why a majority of horse on this site turn to crap at age change. I think we know the real reason for this despite what we are told. However, I want to ask a few questions in regard to what we are told. we are told to look at breeding, dams sires and the length of there careers to try and gage this mystery time when the horse becomes junk. I would like to believe this theory but it doesn't explain why all my creates and the majority of them in general suck after age change. I ran 2yo creates and non creates from 10-15 races in the entire season and still watch them die. I watch creates who have no breeding background to look at die after 10-15 races. So I modified the way I race , the way I breed and still they pretty much all worthless after 1 season even the creates with no breeding pedigree to fall back on. In real racing horses usually get better as they age very few unless injured regress especially if they are running allowance or better, so why is it (again I think we know the answer to this but I want to hear it) that horses very rarely improve at age change when in real life the 2 to 3yo age change is almost always improve as the horse matures but in the game we love its the opposite regardless of breeding or if it is a create who has no breeding history? Just say it . the game is designed this way so we have to continue to breed all the time and spend money on the site.

Dude, didn't you say you were done racing for a while in your last bitch and complain post? Yet you still ran horses every day? Make up your mind. "I think we know the real reason for this despite what we are told," shows you obviously have a distrust of the owners of the site. If the game's a rip off to you, don't play. But for gods sake, please stop creating new threads to complain about the same thing over and over. It gets old after like the 14th time.

Comment

Was bored so I thought I give my 2 cents which means nothing but here goes..
      Foremost I don't think admin does anything to horses to keep us buying. They give out so many Bonus its unreal.
      I have hear from so many hear this is a game of numbers in a program n I think I agree with that.
      Breeding IMo does play a big part on a horse n finding the right combo is very hard to do. As far as creates its a new bloodline so if its dies off early then any off spring will probably do the same but not always
      virtual verues real horses hard to compare no matter how you look at it imo. real horses don't run every 3 r 4 days. they need at least 2 weeks rest most times or they become sore or what ever.
      Workout times imo are just that its a workout that has been explain many times n I totally agree with how they explained it. The horse is on the rail no traffic and the trainer set jocks to run they way he thinks the best work is. you put a horse in a race there are so many factors that come into play that imo can make a bad one look good n a good one look bad
      I look at ths game as a game of slots which I don't play but its how I look at the game as far as the horse goes.. You breed one hoping for a good one. Slots you put 3 bucks in hoping for a jackpot. Chances are u wont get either. But the slot is desighed to make it look like the next spin might be the big one putting 2 jackpots up close n the 3rd right there.
      So if you average out what you spend on slots and the return of money back I almost bet the return is very close here as far as a average horse goes. Good ones do better as far as earnings per race...Like slots how much you spend is up to you
      If all horses ran the way they work IMO there would still be some complaining because then all the other factors come into play jocks , Post how far wide distance etc..
      So as far as a horse dying out early well really no way to tell when it will but all in all IMO most horses that do make the track break even or very close....
      Bottom line IMO its a tuff game n I am by far not the best but its a game and I have learned that over time cause I used to complain all the time but I realize it is what it is a game I either play or I leave..
      I still here.....lol
      The King Has Spoken

Comment

The main concern here is legit, however you will find the same thing at similar sites. Majority of yearlings turn out to be trash, so you buy 2 yr. olds. After a few races they are racing for peanuts, so you buy more. Then they turn three and suddenly become rubbish, so you buy more. And on and on. These games are built like that, plain and simple and they probably aren't going to change.

So basically you have to take the game as it is and determine your goals and develop your game plan around it. You can see many different styles/strategies of play here with varying results. Huge difference between someone like Aquaman versus Foggy. I think if you understand the shortcomings of the game, figure out what you want out of the game and come up with a strategy to get it, then it might be easier to look past some of the issues.

I've been on the edge for a long time too, I totally get where you are coming from. But you are no stranger to these games, you know how it is. Like others have stated, it's kind of a take it or leave it kind of situation.
        Last edited by Buddha Farms; 12-20-2017, 09:39 PM.
        Doing is the best way of saying

Comment

At the end of the day, I agree with Buddha. If age change wasn't a thing, we'd end up with a bunch of impressive pixel horses that we could race exactly nowhere because the site would have been broke a long time ago. I will say that I've had much more success with 3 and 4 year olds this year. I completely retrained them all at the season roll over, taking up to a month for some to understand what they wanted as new horses, because after age change they regularly are new horses, wanting different distances etc. I also mainly run them against their own age and have had success that way. Running them against fresh 2YO's is generally going to be a bad idea.

It would be interesting to know from admin however if they deem the current age change set up 'working as intended'. I think we all accept some form of age change, but there definitely seems to be a segment of the community that feels it's too harsh. I'd also be interested to know how it's coded. The lazy way would be just to tank 1 or 2 stats so that the horse becomes uncompetitive after the program decides the horse has 'hit the wall'. The better way to do it would have been to use a global modifier because that then could be tweaked up and down to find a balance that people are happy with. We'll probably never know but it's interesting to think about. There's always a better way, it's just hard to figure it out when you only know 3 constants in a 20 variable equation heh
          Jason, owner of Aragon Stables operating out of Perth, Australia

Comment

the current ownership did not write the code so I am not saying Lone has done anything just to be clear. this is about the code and trying to make sense of it

Comment

I am here to say that the game is nearly as good as ANY virtual horse game can get - the frustrating part - although I "get it" - is the very good and bad stretches of success and failure.

You would all see the game differently if the site posted individual Stable Wins Percentage, Stakes and Special Race Win% and earnings in a Calendar WEEKLY or MONTHLY format......have you ever done it for yourself? You will see clear up and down patterns for OWNERS, AND for horses and ESPECIALLY jockeys not in the top 2.

Would you be surprised to see a stable win 50% of its stakes races in a month, or 58% of a PM race card in a week? It's part of the game and probably mirrors real racing more than we know.

First, try it on your own stable, then go as far as you want with it on other aspects of the game. What you will find is that horses - if handled correctly, will run their "initial debut races" anywhere from 1 to 9 races, with 90% maxing out their "mojo" after 1, 2, or 3 races.... from this point, TWO things can happen; They can run a "decent" albeit irrelevant "rest of their season", due to "breeding traits" that only allow them to be good for a few races. OR, you can either geld, retire the waste of talent, or drop to the bottom of the claimers. MANY Qualifier winners are $3k claimers within 4 races.....especially early in the season. But all of us KNOW this already, and accept it..... I admit, it is a VERY hard pill to swallow (See Romeos Debate, Bitcoin, RAF, who went on to run 3 for 38 this season AFTER going 4 for 6 in their first 2 races each combined (6 total races), and all have VERY good breeding and 2 are still colts. I accepted and moved on, never ONCE mentioning these 3 horses all season.

So, I am trying this year to keep those types ungelded (I gelded 1 of these 3) to see if I spent $140k on 38 races merely to :"run horses", or if I could have acted and rendered decisions that would have netted more logical positive outcomes.

BUT

At the end of the day, what kind of game would this be if we could all just do the math in advance, and the best number wins? It would be like playing checkers. Therefore, as FRUSTRATING as it can be sometimes, I think this game has flaws, but at the end of the day...... "They mostly got it right", in terms of having unpredictability,etc... Further, since hardly ANY of us can afford to run a breeding outfit SOLELY to accommodate LOW end races at bad racetracks, we ALL expect Secretariat every time we breed. That is not realistic, and sorry to be honest, but the BOB BAFFERT got more wins and stakes earnings than the 12th ranked trainer at Canterbury Park

At Digital Downs, MANY More horses make it MUCH further into their high end career, proportionate and multiplied by tenfold, as compared to real racing.

If you want a champ, you need to REPEATEDLY breed the VERY BEST bloodlines, Get one with good workouts, THEN have those workouts translate ON The TRACK, then have HEART AND FINALLY longevity AND a good age change.

......It's a rough and tough road, but I believe this game has it about as close to "credibly proportionate" to real racing as ANY site ever created.

Frustrating and brutally honest in my assessment, but my verdict is that the game is both EFFECTIVE and ACCURATE in making it very difficult to get a champ-type, and REWARDING when you do get that elusive star horse and breeder!

Best of luck to you all in the new season,

Orb
              Last edited by Orb Farms; 12-24-2017, 03:31 PM.
              - Orb Farms

Comment

wanted to say something on this issue but Orb COVERED everything .LOL MERRY CHRISTMAS TO Everyone at DD.
                SPARTANS! What is YOUR profession?

WAR! WAR! WAR!

Comment

LOL, merry Xmas Aloya....I hope that me taking your comment as "I mostly agree with Orb" is accurate as well? I was brutally honest, and I do some of the complaining and yapping myself....But let's be honest, it is about as accurate as one could expect, and I commend the site for mostly getting almost everything correct.

Changes here and there, especially minor modifications, are usually healthy.... BIG changes - when folks' money is at stake - I have learned over the seasons is uncomfortable, possibly more harmful than good, and must be VERY well thought-out

Happy Holidays and best of luck to you.....Particular commendation to Lone and Brian for running a great site, despite my occasional rants LOL.

I enjoy competing against ALL of you, sharing with you all,and just being here with you all! At the end of the day, YOU the trainer MAKE this site!

Orb
                  - Orb Farms

Comment

Working...
                  X