A very long read think I took notes from Orb

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A very long read think I took notes from Orb

I am writing this post so it is clear why I am taking a break from the game this season. As some of you may have read I was not happy about the extra deposit bonus given to only 10 players of a free breed to Leave No Doubt. I want all 10 players with those horses to know I have no bad feelings about your horses you breed as you were just playing the game as decided by the owner. It is Lone's game and he can set the rules and then we must decide to play or not. I have decided that this decision of his is worth me taking a break from competition. A little background I was here when Leave No Doubt (LND) was an active sire. LND is the best sire in the time period I have played the game. I won a breeding contest Toc put on when LND was an unproved sire and most of the first works came back sub10910 with my winner 10880s So I knew when Lone brought him out of retirement he would have great runners. Both runners won their eliminator division race tonight. One in sub 121 time. And yes I said retirement, in Lone's response to me when I questioned bringing him back he said just getting him up to the new limits. Well I looked at my sires of that age and they still can only breed 50. So I guess you make the rules to fit what you want. He also said this was like the Ecko and Light show game well it was not as you had to pay for the breed and I dont think anyone was shut out of getting one if they wanted to not the free breed for 10 players like this one was. I feel like the old timers felt when owners put in the super creates as they called them. As someone who has built up his breeding barn I feel ownership bringing back a all time great for only a few players is just wrong. I have told him that on previous issues. I had calmed down a little and entered my four best in the stakes race on the 4th but when what I thought would happen happened (both LND won their heats tonight) I decided to take a break. I almost stayed to race Norm to 6000 but I decided to give the three people who picked me a 4yr mare I think would be worth more than the 10k Lone was going to give you. They all could run some more races this season or be breed as all three of you like to breed. So you three check the sales page. I reserve the right to enter whenever I decide but I will not be entering anything in the near future but the Eliminator conso and Brian's futurity race (which I will be lucky enough to win).
    Good luck at the races,
    Eddie

Enjoy your break, Eddie.

For what it's worth I also agree. I didn't like the Ecko and Light Show one either. For me, it's just unnecessary and the upside ( community engagement ) doesn't outweigh the downside ( artificially meddling in the market, not knowing what the code will do with that many breeds in the case of Ecko and Light Show, bad blood in the community ) but I don't have enough invested here to worry about it enough to complain at the time. I can completely see why someone who has built themselves up doesn't like champion breeds to retired horses entering the game.

Hope to see you back on the track at some point, otherwise, I'll need to look elsewhere for my breeders.... lol
    Jason, owner of Aragon Stables operating out of Perth, Australia

Comment

aragon check the sales page didnt want you to have withdrawals so I put a decent mare on page for you.

ps it has a little LND blood in it lol
      Last edited by Taylorandtaryn; 01-01-2018, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Haha, you're a good man

Thanks

Comment

I'm sorry you feel that way , but I have to do something to get the 2yo population up . I added almost 500k to the eliminator and could not get 100 horses to run . I have tried many types of breeding sales ,and even giving free credits away . . We hate to see any trainer take time off .

​We are working on getting new trainers to join ( new player tutorial) , but we will have to find a way to make it easier for them to stay , We will have to simplify the site some. 10 trainers got 1 free breed to hopefully help them this season They also added to the site by breeding much more .

​We have also helped the older stables by raising the limit to 60 and 20 for breeders , We help little stables and foreign players with exchange . We try to lift the site evenly ,but its not perfect . Thanks and Good Luck
          Admin.

Comment

Eddie:

​Sorry to see you take a break from the game, hopefully you will return soon, I tend to agree with you about this latest resurrection of a retired breeder, it's one thing if everyone has a chance to use him but quite another when a few get a crack at him, and others don't for whatever reasons they might have.

​I was around when the super creates came into the game and it caused me to quit the game for quite some time, I hope that is not the case with you, as we certainly can't afford to lose a great player like you over this.

Burky
            STAR OF THE DESERT STABLE
            LAS VEGAS, NEVADA, USA
            HANDICAPPING DUD

Comment

Lone,

I don't think anyone is saying that you do the wrong thing in running the site. You offer many and varied promotions to help us all out, add money, competitions etc that comes out of your bottom line. I think you are overly generous if anything.

The problem lies in the one *specific* type of bonus where you bring a retired breeder out from the shed. Whether it's for a limited few or everyone. Even if you bought, or asked for a donation of a current breeder to give away in a similar manner I doubt you'd hear boo about it.

You do a great job though mate, don't take one specific complaint as a statement on the site in its entirety

Comment

Eddie...you are a true gentleman and you will be missed for whatever time you decide to take off.

I did take advantage of the offer to breed to LND since it was offered but I tend to agree that those type of give aways probably aren't good for the morale of those who spent considerably in building their stables. I certainly see your point about admin. not getting involved in bringing back retired breeders. I can also understand Lone's desire to try bringing some excitement to the site to attract and retain players but perhaps a drawing or some sort of other way of randomly choosing the 10 breedings from among all those who deposited would have been more appropriate and more fair to all. I don't know...I'm sure if any of us were running the site that none of us would be perfect in the decisions we made either.

I do hope the storm you are feeling blows over and you return soon.

Comment

well I remember the days when we couldn't wait for certain breeders to be done breeding( troll horses come to mind) and now they are being brought back for limited use by the limited community . yes I too can see a huge problem with this. I have a retired breeder I would love to bring up to current limits but I know that would not be allowed for me.

Comment

A mistake has been made and Eddie has pointed it out. this site is based on achievements, recognition, rewards, acknowledgements, bragging rights, hall of fame, top breeder and the list goes on. these goals are set by Digitaldowns to give us ALL a reason to try our best other then just winning a race. Its important that we protect these honors from being tampered with so they can keep their value. Eddie should be commended for sticking up for these goals that make Digitaldowns the site it has grown to be, otherwise the incentive will be lost forever.
                    When a horse has run it life span and achieve all it can achieve it now sets a goal for other Future horses to beat. A true record of this can Not be keep if that horse has a chance to be reborn, and if it is, you have now tarnished the whole system and made it worthless.

Lone and Dog are doing the best they can at making us happy to be here and its a never ending goal. I think Lone should admit it was wrong and no more horses will be revived. Eddie I hope this will get you to reconsider staying with us, we need you!

Im guilty of buying a breed just to stay competitive, it was wrong and I'm sorry Eddie (Taylorandtaryn)

Comment

Don't anyone who took the breed feel like I am saying anything about you or your horse. You were just playing the game as the rules were set out. I just happen to not like the rules.
                      Eddie

Comment

I think this morning of the Twilight Zone Episode titled "Number Twelve Looks Just Like You", [Season 5, Episode 17], where we can all enjoy a cup of "instant smile", and the entire site balance is brought back into its orbital pattern. This game seems to always have the tendency to have stables gravitate inward towards the largest Digital celestial body - site parity.

To be honest, I'm floored, I was not even aware I missed out on an opportunity to breed to this one, I missed the last one, but got one on the first Ecko and Light Show deal.... I took one, missed the last 2....

With all respect, I paid dearly to establish the sort of brand I wanted to carry as my stable "persona" - just win, place horses aggressively, all to "win at all costs". In the early seasons, I bred them, won 2-3 races with them, and systematically disposed of them like you would any termite or roach. I recently and currently conducted my stable to the extreme polar opposite. I did NOT geld anything, and only bred to my best and the breeding page best available. I got FAR different results playing the game "traditionally", and paying high costs for the very best, keeping Colts, etc...... Hundreds upon hundreds of breeding combos, and my best 3 horses in the last 3 seasons are/were..... drum roll - ALL creates. This fact alone places the dot on the exclamation point with a resounding CLANG..... I worked so hard to establish my own bloodlines, and the ebbs of the game established most of my home-grown bloodlines as having a very perishable shelf-life. Not what I hoped for, but I will continue to try to build an excellent bloodline, a feat that I believe to be among the "Holy Grail" of this game and it strategy.

What intrigues me follows below....

When I look at the "First Workout" of my first 200 horses I bred, and compare to the most RECENT 200 horses I bred.....there is a categorical shift. In my very first 200 horses I bred, a horse - REGARDLESS of breeding traits, could run a first workout time spanning between 1.08.80 and 1.10.50...... In my last 200 I have bred, that workout time spectrum has NARROWED significantly, with OVER 90% of the First-Out workouts falling between 1.09.21 and 1.09.60...... Yes 200 horses now run a "first-out" time ALL within LESS than .39 Seconds of each other? Since I have personally entrusted "first-out" times as weighted heavier than the final Vet and tack addition times......this shift tells me less and less about my horses, my breeding, etc... and it tells me more about tack and adds. I don't even bother to look at first out times any more, because the THRILL of getting a well-bred combination of breeders to run a 1.08.85 timed "first out" is absent, replaced with vanilla first out naked times, horseshoes, big add and tack swings, and resurrections.

....But in the end, does it really matter anyway? This new first-out times parity only reinforces the fact that the workout code as an indicator of talent is an even Weaker indicator of talent, whether it be first out, after adds, after gelding, and yes, even after an age change. RAF is a dead horse in my stable. His age change looks GOOD, but what actually transpired is that this gelding already "Hit its career Wall", so the morning glory aspect of his good numbers BEFORE the age change translate into an even more dramatic morning glory after the age change. Never have I personally seen a "different" type of resurrection - a horse after hitting its career wall "get its life back" with a good age change. I've never experienced it, maybe you have.

.... I have strep throat, a fever, and a headache....

...to be continued,

Orb
                        - Orb Farms

Comment

Not going to pile on here, however I would like to see it stated that this will be the last breeder resurrection.
                          Doing is the best way of saying

Comment

That is not an issue . we will not unretired breeders or ungeld them . Good Luck everyone .
                            Admin.

Comment

Are you all sure you dont want us to ungeld Camaro and have a breed special?

https://www.digitaldowns.us/new_bree...p?cc=1&p1=9666
                              ** at 21:06, Brian joined the Lobby...
                              Brian Ta Das...

https://www.facebook.com/digitaldowns.us
                              https://twitter.com/Digitaldowns_US

Comment

Working...
                              X