No announcement yet.

Digital Downs Route Qualifiers Needs More Horses To Go Off

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if this is even the right thread for this, but Orb broke the ice, so i'll offer this on the issue of yearlings. When I first started here, it was EXTREMEMLY rare to get a new horse that ran 108.90 or below. These few that did would bring in the neighborhood of $150-$200k at auction because they were reliable some where around 50% of the time. Now there is a tremendous amount of horses in that range, and a crazy number of 108.60's and some even faster. I'm sure Rory must be going nuts about what he sees. Hell, I remember getting nude creates in the 110's to 112's.
    ​As recently as my best season (31), you had a better chance of seeing a Unicorn than to see a create under 109.00 These times are just too fast!!! I don't know how they got there, and if it was planned or facilitated by admin, it was a huge mistake. A trainer and owner cant help but be disappointed over and over when you breed these Paper Tigers. In the old days you held out hope for one of those outstanding training runs. now we are disappointed twice. Once when our horse only runs 108.85, and then again when it runs like shit thereafter.
    ​Further, the new times have completely devalued auction prices. We used to have a thriving yearling population in each auction.
    ​The point is, there seems to be no correlation between training times and true ability. That being the case, why even bother with the training ritual, just buy them and pay 5$ to the house to adjust them to their optimum settings and let them race. Breeding and training is no fun anymore, because no matter what the results are, they mean nothing.
    Last edited by Foggydan Farms; 01-14-2018, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Dog, I don't think anyone is blaming lone for the yearling problem, nor do we think he's not doing everything he can to fix it, we know he is. But what Greeko has said is a perfect mirror to what my yearlings are doing. If you look back you'll see a post I did telling you and Lone the meters had to be wrong because my yearling had CRAZY good times, and I didn’t want to find out later all I had was fools gold. Lone checked and said the meters were fine. And like Greeko said, after age change they even got a bit better.

I’m very disappointed in all of these yearling because not one of them lived up to the training numbers. Now I’m stuck with some horses that I thought would be my new Q race runners, but know I’d be lucky to get a win in a high claimer with them.

Got a couple I geld but made them worse, got a couple more I could geld but can’t see a horse that runs:
      (1 3/8m 47.71 1:12.56 2:18.32) Get any better if I geld him.

I think this is why the Q races are not filling and agree with Greeko that yearling are a curse to this game and more should be done to promote the breeding of 2Y after age change, the cards will fill. For a fact, I’m waiting for a breeding discount right now to replace the yearlings so I can get on with the game with horses I trust to win a Q for me.

JMHO and a short look at my game play and direction. WCR

Comment

Originally posted by Foggydan Farms View Post
        I don't know if this is even the right thread for this, but Orb broke the ice, so i'll offer this on the issue of yearlings. When I first started here, it was EXTREMEMLY rare to get a new horse that ran 108.90 or below. These few that did would bring in the neighborhood of $150-$200k at auction because they were reliable some where around 50% of the time. Now there is a tremendous amount of horses in that range, and a crazy number of 108.60's and some even faster. I'm sure Rory must be going nuts about what he sees. Hell, I remember getting nude creates in the 110's to 112's.
        ​As recently as my best season (31), you had a better chance of seeing a Unicorn than to see a create under 109.00 These times are just too fast!!! I don't know how they got there, and if it was planned or facilitated by admin, it was a huge mistake. A trainer and owner cant help but be disappointed over and over when you breed these Paper Tigers. In the old days you held out hope for one of those outstanding training runs. now we are disappointed twice. Once when our horse only runs 108.85, and then again when it runs like shit thereafter.
        ​Further, the new times have completely devalued auction prices. We used to have a thriving yearling population in each auction.
        ​The point is, there seems to be no correlation between training times and true ability. That being the case, why even bother with the training ritual, just buy them and pay 5$ to the house to adjust them to their optimum settings and let them race. Breeding and training is no fun anymore, because no matter what the results are, they mean nothing.
        The kicker is when you see a sub 109 horse in a 6K claimer in its first race out.
        Doing is the best way of saying

Comment

Originally posted by Buddha Farms View Post

The kicker is when you see a sub 109 horse in a 6K claimer in its first race out.

Good point. But I wonder how much of that is the game's natural progression? Is it somewhat possible that the original code led to better horses being bred through generation after generation, getting faster and faster. Where eventually a 108:90 horse is equivalent to a 109:30 horse in season 5. It's how records continuously get broken with time. It's not too far off the realism of breeding in history, as horses are faster today with better and better breeding than they were 50 years ago.

Without seeing how the code is written, or progresses, we really can't differentiate between natural progression, and altered numbers.
          Last edited by South Jersey Stables; 01-14-2018, 11:09 PM.

Comment

That is exactly what is happening, the frenzied breeding has lead to faster and faster horses. When I first started my first horse ran 1:10:31 which was the equivalent of the 108.60's we are seeing now. I can remember the first owner chatting one time about how quickly the times of horses were getting better, and that he was surprised that we achieved such progress in such little time and that was long before we had stables breeding 50 or more horses each season. South Jersey is exactly correct in his assumption I believe, so expectations are such that 108.60's do not necessarily mean you have a champion horse, the breeding has caught up and surpassed what expectations should be. All you can do is enter your horses where you think they will win because you still don't know what you have until you race the horses. If you think you have a champ then start him in a maiden shotgun or allowance or stakes, if the horse doesn't run then you downgrade it until you find it's appropriate level. People have to realise that when they breed they are not the only ones breeding and others are getting similar horses, some might be real runners some maybe not so much. So it might just be inflated expectations because you want to breed the next champ. In the end it is up to the individual as to whether they run in qualifiers or not
            STAR OF THE DESERT STABLE
            LAS VEGAS, NEVADA, USA
            HANDICAPPING DUD

Comment

Working...
            X