The GELDING Conundrum...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The GELDING Conundrum...

In the past, Lone has indicated that the process of gelding a horse can completely change it. With this the case, i'd like to know if a sprinter can " shapeshift " into a router, and likewise a router into a sprinter. I know gelding can have a potent impact. Also, did I read where after the gelding its unlimited training until they race...like when we buy or claim one...

What I learned is that a Geld affects the meters, not the final times in workouts.

For example, it could take your Colt-->Gelding from x to y as follows:

Endurance: 89 --> 91
    Speed: 90--> 88
    Stamina: 86 --> 89

[EDIT] --> ALL can go up, ALL meters can go down, or the most likely outcome, a combination.....The horse's racing career may or may not be shortened or extended perhaps as well

Thus, a horse who may have had sprinter-"leaning" METERS, now has longer Classic meters, with probably good numbers with steady and relax on routes

Does this sound right admin?

Orb
    - Orb Farms

Comment

Thanks Orb...its got me thinking a bit. I have about 30 that I'm inclined to want to geld and see if they improve. It's the end of the line for them, and a last resort. But the $60 to get it done is a drain, so i'll just think a bit more. Your always around to reply to my posts, and I appreciate your contributions to the forums. Keep it up, been a bit dead in there the last week or so...GOOD LUCK!

Comment

I have had more "gelding" experience than anyone here. When I first joined DD in 2008, very few people gelded their horses. Even when they went to bottom claimers, they would either retire them to breed or just retire them from the game. Since I rarely breed, I would claim them and geld them. With many claims, in addition to gelding them I would also make other changes with equipment and meds, and tried different distances and jockey instructions. So when they improved off the claim, I wasn't always sure if it was the gelding or other changes. The one thing I did know is that gelding never had a negative effect, so I continued to do it and still do. Also, workout times were usually much better, but it didn't always translate to improved performance on race day.

Comment

Thanks Gary for the reply. I agree with you. Most times I geld, they certainly seem to work better times and sometimes significantly better. The games changed a lot since Carl's days. Lone said somewhere in the forum where horses need to be totally re worked after they are gelded, because it can, not always, but can totally change a horse. I was just wondering if that "change" was deep enough to all but give us a different horse all together...I'm still working on it...! Good Luck, and ive sent you a PM in relation to another matter..

Comment

Working...
          X