Adjustments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjustments

In an effort to augment the present racing platform, I have a suggestion that maybe we can kick around. Here's what i'm thinking.
    Presently we are racing a healthy 2yo platform. After that we have a diminished 3yo+ up group that gets affected by stables retiring prospective breeders. Without extending breeding limits, which didn't work in the past, I would suggest that the logical addition would be a group that would feed the existing platform.
    I know that this will steer us away from reality, but we are after all a game, and working with what we have available, I would suggest we open up and start racing yearlings. Bred and Creates alike.

HOLD ON!! Before we all go nuts.
    Here's my reasoning. First off, the platform exists. It doesn't require any further coding or infrastructure.

The rap against yearlings was that they were a terrible investment because they were a crapshoot to survive the initial age change. Why not make them a better investment by letting them earn in their first season. I'm assuming the proposed elimination of yearlings is because Admin couldn't fix the problem of a lesser negative change, so why not embrace it. Let them earn!!
    Let's say that only 1 in 10 (its probably closer to 3 in 10) graduate to their sophomore season. That still is an infusion into the general population. And the A/C won't be so painful if they have earned a bit. They still couldn't breed until they hit the time and race guidelines so they will theoretically be around a bit longer. They could also get a jump on those same guidelines. Of course, they could only race against other youngsters.
    It is possible that it may affect 2yo sales and breeding. I think the savvy stables are going to still breed 2yo's, but would add the younger ones as a hedge. If you leave them at the 5k purchase price, I think they might get a moderate play.
    The 1 in 10 that flow through well will strengthen the 2yo group, and hopefully ease the 3yo genocide of colts.

Like I said, this will produce immediate push back from the purists regarding yearlings racing. So, you know what, call them something else. Call them Entry level, or whatever you want.
    It's available so let's use it to our advantage.

You will have yearlings running faster than 2 year olds which in will make the game even more unrealistic.

Comment

I think this makes sense........ To mirror reality, call yearlings 2 year olds, and call 2 year olds 3 year olds......... That simple substitution will almost idenitcally mirror the reality of racing today.

I say this often, but when I look at a DRF, I see MANY 3 and 4 year old horses running in MSW and Maiden Claiming races...... Perhaps WAY more than 2 year olds to be honest.

Food for thought.

Orb
      - Orb Farms

Comment

John, we have spoken many times about your dislike of yearlings. As I've explained, I believe they could serve a purpose. Rather than eliminate a part of the game and have no further advancement of the game, and no replacement, they could add to the total picture. And as I mentioned above, they are already here. As far as the times, whats the difference? 2yo's very often race faster than the older ones on the site. The times would have no relevance because they would be racing against their own.

Comment

Whatever we decide, the reality is that potential changes promote the financial solvency of the site ownership, otherwise we will have no game or website to open up every morning..... So, while this may not be a popular statement......This is not a 501-C4, a non-profit entity.....It takes time, money, and other resources for ownership to make this site happen.......I believe this site gives so many of us tremendous entertainment value....... So, let's at least work with ownership, so we have a game here to play!

In other words, we roll with the times, adjust, and enjoy. I am not necessarily concerned about any changes, as I believe myself and all of us will adapt, REGARDLESS of changes or no changes.....

BUT, there is reality, and we MUST consider that this site continues or starts to make it worthwhile for site ownership. Let's give any admin options a chance, as they see much more than us, and perhaps we all win in the end.......

I cannot imagine my daily and weekly routine without the entertainment I get from this site......so if we occasionally deviate from the "reality" we try to mirror from actual racing, then so be it.....so long as it remains predominantly realistic.

My best,
          Orb
          - Orb Farms

Comment

You're right, Orb. Let me be clear. I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel. I'm just trying to utilize what the site has presently to ADD to the experience. Adding a platform and a group of horses, rather than eliminating stuff. It occurs to me that the yearlings could race at the under utilized Santa Anita track. I think the only thing that needs to be dropped is the CC races. If we are trying to integrate a larger group of creates into regular races, these need to be dropped. Decent creates race in all of the same races as Breds. This should increase fields a little bit too.
            And by the way Orb, the only thing you CAN't do is name the yearlings 2 yo's. We have that set up now. We need a separate group at the younger level. But that's just semantics. I get what you're saying.
            Actually it might make sense for new or smaller stables to race mostly yearlings and grow their stables from the ground up.
            Last edited by Foggydan Farms; 04-20-2018, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X