Yearlings??????????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yearlings??????????

Since Lone mentioned in another thread that he's hoping for more yearlings bred this season to fill an eliminator next season I'm curious if anyone had any success with the yearlings they bred last season. Mine have already departed the digital world (RIP). They had terrible work times with or without OTT as yearlings with little improvement as 2yo. I even gave them a race at $3K before "retiring them from the game" but they showed nothing so they got loaded on the horse trailer to nowhere. Maybe I just didn't get lucky so I'm wondering...has anybody had any luck outside of the eliminator itself with any yearlings you bred last season?

Yes amrs freighter has won 2 from 4 with best win so far being tcr and a few others have been competitive and the two yearlings i have for next season are showning some reasonable times although thoses two are not creates

Comment

I had a dozen or so yearlings coming into this season but only two remain and they are heading for the low claimers. However if you check how the Eliminator horses are doing, not just the Finalists, that will probably give you a better idea.

Norm
      "There's a fine line between winning and losing... it's called The Finish Line"

Comment

You want to be successful in this game?

Breed during the current season and have fresh horses to enter in those big races.

I'm racing less this season (only 30 horses active), I have many things going on in my life.

My strategy was always to breed 5-10 horses a week and you will be right up there with the top stables.

Comment

Originally posted by Trunoble Lodge View Post
          I had a dozen or so yearlings coming into this season but only two remain and they are heading for the low claimers. However if you check how the Eliminator horses are doing, not just the Finalists, that will probably give you a better idea.

Norm

I actually have done a basic analysis of the eliminator horses Norm and that's kind of what prompted my question to the community about if anyone has had success other than Eliminator horses. Here's a brief review of my analysis...

There were 31 horses who ran in round 1 of the Eliminator series. Of those 31, 3 of them have earned $100K+ so far this season. Now those were the top 3 finishers in the Eliminator so a substantial portion of their current earnings came from that series. However, all 3 have shown some ability since. The next biggest earners are $34K & $28K while all the rest have earned less than $20K so far. 10 starts in Qualifiers have been tried by Eliminator horses with only 2 seconds and 1 third having been accomplished.

Of the rest...6 horses have already been retired. 13 of the 31 (42%) have earned less than $1K per start which in my opinion means they are not competitive at all. 8 others (26%) have only earned between $1K-$2K per start which tells me that 2/3 of the horses that ran in the Eliminator are barely or not at all competitive even at low claiming levels and these are presumably the best of the yearlings that were bred or created. Of the 31 horses in the Eliminator 7 of them were creates and 6 of those are in the $0-$2K earnings per start range (3 are <$1K).

My conclusion...
          It's too early to have a final conclusion but my preliminary observations are that create yearlings seemed to be a complete flop. Bred yearlings are not (overall) showing me much more as almost 2/3 of them don't look to me to be competitive above very low level claiming. I have some bred 2yo's that are doing much better than this group as a whole and I haven't bred that many. Now I will admit that I haven't gone into depth on pedigrees to see if people bred what should be good horses or if they used lesser pedigrees because of not being sure about yearlings. I also have not gone into depth as to whether horses appear to be running at proper levels or are being raced over their heads. This is probably the biggest reason it's too early to draw a final conclusion. However, so far I'm not convinced that overall the yearling issues have been solved to make them competitive with bred 2yo's. Personally, I also don't see that OTT makes any difference.

JMO and I welcome others because maybe somebody sees something I'm missing.

Comment

Lone is gonna hate me for saying this but Yearlings are broken dont waste your time and money analyzing false hope !!!!

Comment

Couple other things to consider - There have already been bred almost 2x as many 2yo bred as where bred as 1yo . Of the 1yo bred not all took full advantage OTT , which will also help future 1yo if bred and trained up.

The training times of 1yo where not as misleading .

I believe a full crop of 1yo will show the true value of breeding yearlings .

Thanks and Good Luck

Admin.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Star Stables View Post
                Couple other things to consider - There have already been bred almost 2x as many 2yo bred as where bred as 1yo . Of the 1yo bred not all took full advantage OTT , which will also help future 1yo if bred and trained up.

The training times of 1yo where not as misleading .

I believe a full crop of 1yo will show the true value of breeding yearlings .

Thanks and Good Luck

So then I have a question Lone...
                Why does there even need to be a difference in yearlings with different training methods (OTT), etc.?
                Why shouldn't they just be programmed the same as 2yo's with perhaps "slightly less ability" & "slightly slower work times" and then have a 2yo A/C that brings them on par with bred 2yo's at whatever their ability level is?
                My biggest issue with yearlings is that they are treated different than all other DD horses.

Comment

It was programmed like that from the beginning . We can not change the race engine with out it effecting everything and in a way that would almost have to redo the whole site . So what we can do is make small addons to try to make the site work better . That's the closes I can go to explain it ,without giving away to much info .
                  Admin.

Comment

I have a Filly yearling who runs 1:08.60's......and for a filly i.e. no geld & the weight discount, it is frustrating to get a horse who was well-bred, runs good works, and is now 0 for 4 in her career.... Not even competitive in any of her races except perhaps her 1st race.

This is the scenario that I fear most, as I owned many many yearlings with great ULT works both before and after the advent of various changes over the seasons.... I simply do not feel "optimistic" regardless of their workouts and breeding for yearlings, insofar as I feel a bit better with juveniles.

Athens is the filly, and I am left to either to put her in claimers or sit her out until next season...neither option were remotely considered when she was the very best of my yearlings on day 1 of the new season...

Just my opinion...others owners are doing well, and geldings & creates in particular this season...

Orb
                    - Orb Farms

Comment

Working...
                    X