Forward Thinking - Community Thoughts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forward Thinking - Community Thoughts

I have spent a lot of time recently on minor yet important issues around the site all while still keeping a focus on the long term. I will continue to tweak as needed but I wanted run a couple thoughts I have for the future. I am not asking for permission...this is just a heat check.

6 Month Season
    Hard truth - It is very difficult to put in place the proper type of race card and options with a 4 month season dominated by Qualifiers and any new types of racing. We can be way more creative with a 6 month race season and also do more things to build a larger community. If there was to be a 6 month season we would make some changes to the breeding age. We would allow horses to retire for breeding at 3.5 years of age (after 3 month of new season) If this idea were to move forward it would begin January 1st 2020. Gives everyone time to plan.

Horse Class Indicator
    When a foal is born we could add some type of class identifier based on its bloodline & attributes. If we did this it could allow for many more options in racing and also protect low end racing and stable owners from certain horses being dropped in cheap restricted racing. There are many ways to make an impact on this one but I haven't really thought it all the way out.

Changing the Site Name
    Re-brand and fresh start with a .com. Something with or about virtual horse racing in the name itself for SEO purposes or even from a marketing standpoint where people would clearly know what we are and what we do.

Credits vs Dollars
    The idea here is to remove anything that may be a turn off or confusing to potential new stables. Is it better to just make 20,000K = $20 us. etc etc etc

These are some of the bigger ideas that i have had for some time. Again...there is no need to get upset on this thread or panic. These are just a few ideas that I like and these ideas aren't something that would be implemented this season. We need to level up and I plan on leading this effort!

Bob

6 Month Season
    Hard truth - It is very difficult to put in place the proper type of race card and options with a 4 month season dominated by Qualifiers and any new types of racing. We can be way more creative with a 6 month race season and also do more things to build a larger community. If there was to be a 6 month season we would make some changes to the breeding age. We would allow horses to retire for breeding at 3.5 years of age (after 3 month of new season) If this idea were to move forward it would begin January 1st 2020. Gives everyone time to plan.

4 months has not been working for a long time, as month 4 is just dead. Something does need to change re season length; however, in the past we have always been warned that how the horses age/wear is impacted. So something to watch for in the coding as you progress.

Horse Class Indicator
    When a foal is born we could add some type of class identifier based on its bloodline & attributes. If we did this it could allow for many more options in racing and also protect low end racing and stable owners from certain horses being dropped in cheap restricted racing. There are many ways to make an impact on this one but I haven't really thought it all the way out.

Just wondering if the horse's indicator can change over time? I've played other games where this is used. The horse has a birth ranking, and that ranking goes up or down by degrees based on what he turns out to be. That game actually has 15 different rankings, allowing for a broad spectrum. I like this more if the horses can change. It would be discouraging if the dice rolled the wrong way and a small stable wound up with all low horses and low hopes.

Changing the Site Name
    Re-brand and fresh start with a .com. Something with or about virtual horse racing in the name itself for SEO purposes or even from a marketing standpoint where people would clearly know what we are and what we do.

See below

Credits vs Dollars
    The idea here is to remove anything that may be a turn off or confusing to potential new stables. Is it better to just make 20,000K = $20 us. etc etc etc

I'm sure you have thought of this, but on both of these last ideas watch out for the "gambling" implications. Also I suspect there is a mental aspect to credits that impacts perception in your favor...i.e. people may feel differently about spending credits than dollars even though it is the same value. Ditto on withdrawals. I'm not certain, but I bet someone has done a study and written up a paper on this.

Comment

I agree with thoses ideals Toc i think they will Help Changeing from dollars to BC makes it safer for the site IMo
      The King Has Spoken

Comment

Theses are all great ideas as long all the changes that go with the ideas are carefully work out

Comment

Bob, do you plan on bringing back jockey rating and descriptions? When I first brought the idea up to reveal jockey attributes it was based around trying to make things more realistic. As owners/trainers, we should know what the jockeys are good at just like they do on real tracks, as we'd be able to talk to them and watch them exercise every morning, yet alone watch races and get feedback from jockeys. I know you had some excellent descriptions up for a bit but then replaced them with the 10% fee wording.

-Mike

Comment

Some nice ideas Bob. I like in particular, 6 month season. I too think this will help with wider range of races. The Q's could then go to 2 weeks schedule etc.

Class indicator, will especially help new members. Also, will almost boost auctions, with horse value being more predictable (within reason).

Comment

It's nice to see this game get a complete overhaul, it is long overdue. Unfortunately whatever first attracted me to digital horse racing back in 1982 is gone and I don't think it's ever coming back.
              Doing is the best way of saying

Comment

Originally posted by Buddha Farms View Post
                It's nice to see this game get a complete overhaul, it is long overdue. Unfortunately whatever first attracted me to digital horse racing back in 1982 is gone and I don't think it's ever coming back.
                That might be so and there is nothing wrong with that. Hopefully it becomes a place for occasional interaction etc. Always good to see u around

Comment

Originally posted by South Jersey Stables View Post
                  Bob, do you plan on bringing back jockey rating and descriptions? When I first brought the idea up to reveal jockey attributes it was based around trying to make things more realistic. As owners/trainers, we should know what the jockeys are good at just like they do on real tracks, as we'd be able to talk to them and watch them exercise every morning, yet alone watch races and get feedback from jockeys. I know you had some excellent descriptions up for a bit but then replaced them with the 10% fee wording.

-Mike
                  Hey Mike,

I do plan on adding more to the descriptions. Truth is I go back and forth on what details to include. I'll have something back soon! I might even build individual pages per jock

Comment

Originally posted by King G Racing View Post
                    I agree with thoses ideals Toc i think they will Help Changeing from dollars to BC makes it safer for the site IMo
                    King

after some thought...I agree about the BC's. Not a major fish to fry at the moment.

Comment

Kinda picking fly crap outta pepper here, but could the forum be on the same clock as the rest of the site at some point?

Comment

Originally posted by Nut Brown Racing View Post
                        Kinda picking fly crap outta pepper here, but could the forum be on the same clock as the rest of the site at some point?
                        Good idea. I think the Forum uses GMT.

My small fish is: Can the Daily Report show the previous days results and activities? It has been sitting 3 days behind for quite a while now.

I am in agreeance with the ideas put forward in this thread.

Norm
                        "There's a fine line between winning and losing... it's called The Finish Line"

Comment

Originally posted by Trunoble Lodge View Post

Good idea. I think the Forum uses GMT.

My small fish is: Can the Daily Report show the previous days results and activities? It has been sitting 3 days behind for quite a while now.

I am in agreeance with the ideas put forward in this thread.

Norm
                          I had no idea...I'll dig in

Comment

Originally posted by Nut Brown Racing View Post
                            I think i have a good pepper pooper scooper cause I believe I just corrected the time

Comment

I believe you should have the option set set time zone in your profiles. I noticed if I'm not logged in time is different but logged in I'm correct.
                              ** at 21:06, Brian joined the Lobby...
                              Brian Ta Das...

https://www.facebook.com/digitaldowns.us
                              https://twitter.com/Digitaldowns_US

Comment

Working...
                              X