Questioned - What do we want to be

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questioned - What do we want to be

We have been questioned multiple times by a member about stating our position on what type of racing community we want to be. The question wasn't about what changes we have in mind or what improvements we plan to make. It was more of a philosophical question. This question has been directed to management just 4 weeks in and I expect that no answer will be good enough. I'll admit I see no importance at all at the moment to answer that question as we still haven't fully wrapped our hands around what we have. Seems like a premature request knowing the situation but I will answer the best I can at the moment but just know....while we are kicking this can around my biggest concern is how to improve race entry for all stables. The process is too long for large stables so I apologize if I don't have the perfect response for you on what I expect Digital Downs to be or what we want to be. I have much more simpler yet important user functionality issues to address.

Our vision allows for all members to find an area or enjoyment even for members who don't race that much or at all. Some might think the question posed to us is trying to make us choose what type of player we want and create some type of class warfare. We won't be forced to choose! Truth is a healthy platform has a healthy mix of stables types. The strongest possible future is with 60% of the stables being medium in size. We don't want to be top heavy and we don't want to be bottom heavy. Our goal will be to build levels of entertainment for all and what is currently offered isn't the final product we expect to have available. This will evolve and we will look for new ways for people to find an entertainment value. For most it will be about racing and folks will find their lane that is comfortable to them. For some it will be about breeding horses. For some it will be about brood stock. For some it will be about big races and big money and others it will be about stable standings etc. I believe there is a place for members who don't even race at all but instead be active in our community adding their own value. These levels need to built as they don't currently exist. I'd like to see 100 active stables in some form at a minimum. We understand that as much as we will try we won't be able to please everyone. Some will have a glass half full mindset and others glass half empty mindset. We don't create these mindsets...people bring their own glass with them when they join.

The core of what we will offer will always be about racing and the breeding aspects of the game. That's what we are and what we do!

But the question really isn't for me to answer

Answer the question yourself...what do you want this to be for you? There are people of different nationalities and stable size that have raced here for years so I think it's safe to say some have no problem finding the entertainment level and value that meets their ecxpectations as is. This will only improve once I can move away from daily annoyances like the daily report being 2 days behind and focus on the forward thinking and implementation.
    Last edited by Administrator; 05-26-2019, 05:30 PM.

Thank you for the reply. You told me previously that I underestimated your business acumen. It is more common in business to set a strategic direction first, and then make changes in support of that. It is less common to make lots of changes, and then decide what direction you wish to target. Functionality, advertising, etc. are being worked on, and as I have said before these are going well. However, in the past 2 weeks it is beginning to look a great deal like there will be no lane for me here. I at least did the courteous thing, and asked if that was the intent, before just storming off in a huff so give me credit for that.

Last response, done.

Comment

I like your word play. Surely you don't think I bought the company without some type of general strategy. I know what I want and I know where it is going however I don't have everything I need information wise to feel comfortable putting myself in a box regarding you line of questioning.

I do find it odd that you have now mentioned on numerous posts about your future. Wonder what change in the last 2 weeks that made it so you have no lane. Why don't you share this with us so its not such a mystery. Where is the substance? I could go on random forums all day posting vague comments its not that difficult to do. No one will ever be able to address your specific needs without a back story on those needs. Can't help improve what I don't know needs to improve and I am pretty certain I have demonstrated to act on areas that need to be addressed or areas that make sense to improve.

We spend so much time on the forum discussing negatives and picking at this and that yet never discuss the positives that far out way the negatives. Ever wonder why there is such small participation on the forums from all of the members? Why are forums always dominated by negative discussions?

And as far as changes...they aren't headless changes. This place needed change as it was quite obvious status quo was not working and hasn't worked for a long time. I won't be afraid to make them. Occasionally you need to take 2 steps back before leaping forward. Real Talk!
      Last edited by Administrator; 05-26-2019, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Big purses bring in big fish. I think your on the right path I'd love to see this place reach a hrp level in purses , 500$ is right there.

I see improvement I saw a 3cl nw2 I just entered..thank you that's something been sorely missing and it's a distinct class structure. no way I should have to enter mcwicked in a allowance or stake race because there's no maiden races for 3+? What I'm saying is improvements yes! but room for much more.

I think breeding is a big part of these sites we all the thrill of it. I'd love to see expansion of that...are we still getting that class # you spoke of? I can't wait to have breeders worth listing as I think it's a great program the new % system. More detailed bloodlines... %s to help us choose what mix we want and why.

honestly the daily report is great but if it's eating up too much time I'd delegate it or just discontinue or just condence it quite a bit

thanks for listening

Midwest Racing

Comment

As i have looked around at this site i feel its heading in the right direction. Time will heal everything and take its course at what type of site it will become, that i believe is up to the community!! we have to consider the site just recently changed hands. We need to give it time to develop !! Rome wasn't built in a day.. imo, we as players should use the forum as a way to express idea's into making the site better by improving different parts of the game and helping the site reach a bigger goal over all ... thanks for reading.. john
          SPARTANS! What is YOUR profession?

WAR! WAR! WAR!

Comment

This is an excellent post about everyone needing to decide for themselves where their enjoyment from the site comes from. The site should offer enough that just about everyone should be able to find some area they enjoy participating in but as you said you won't be able to please everyone and you shouldn't try. Trying to please everyone is the surest way to making a mess of things and winding up with a hodgepodge of continuous changes.

My only question has been that part of my enjoyment comes from racing for "appropriate" purses and I explained my reasoning as to why I want to know your intentions in a PM to you so I don't want to go into it anymore on the forum. That is not the intention of this post.

My intention of this post is to apologize to you if any of my posts have been construed by you or anyone else as negative toward the game. That was never my intention and is not my style. If I were unhappy with the game I would simple take my $$ and leave. I have said several times that I like the overall direction that the site is headed. Do I agree with everything? Of course not but I agree with comments from Brent and John above that it is generally headed in the right direction. Just from observation without doing any kind of formal study it appears to me that the number of races running daily are way up maybe even around double and the number of 3 or 4 horse races is down. Participation is way up due to a much better race card. As Brent alluded to the fact there is a much better variety of races now being offered is outstanding. It also appears that the number of active stables is beginning an upward trend.

Overall I think you are doing a good job in revamping the game Bob. Keep it up. And again I apologize to everyone if my posts have sounded negative in any way.

Comment

Thank you AMR and I encourage you to post as much as you want about anything that you have questions or concerns about. The thread started to go off track and when that happens we usually lose focus on what the intent was. I appreciate your efforts and the community should also. Because of that thread we have new information being added to the race listing. Soon you will see minimum entries needed for the race to post. You will see max gates for that race. You will see fixed purse / starting purse cleaned up to state clearly that it is a purse...these purses are guaranteed. Additionally at some point you will see these guaranteed purses increase automatically once the initial starting guaranteed purse has been exceeded in entry fees. For now this is manual.

In the mean time If someone sees a purse out of balance and the race is posted to run as is please notify me so I can correct.

Comment

Working...
              X