hmmm think I found an issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hmmm think I found an issue

I sold one of my broodmares after she had been used as a percentage breeder. Her colt won yesterday, but I did not collect any percentage fee. I'm guessing it may have gone to her new owner, which seems out of whack. Shouldn't it stay with the stable that owned the horse when the foal was bred?

bump?

Comment

I didn't respond earlier as not sure if it was intended to go with the horse or trainer who made the initial posting. I can see it raising the breeders value if it went with the horse. Not sure will see what the boss says.
      ** at 21:06, Brian joined the Lobby...
      Brian Ta Das...

https://www.facebook.com/digitaldowns.us
      https://twitter.com/Digitaldowns_US

Comment

The way the offspring % fee was created is for the % fee to stay with the broodmare or Sire not the original stable at the time of use. I did not create this and this is how it was created and implemented. I'm sure there can be opinions both ways but as is....it is called offspring % fee. Yes....the value of the horse is better when the fee transfers. I don't believe it is in the best interest of the site to have inactive stables collecting fees...this is worst case and obviously not this specific case but you see where I'm going with this.

Comment

You cannot really prevent inactive stables from collecting fees by having the fee transfer with the horse, since the stables could just keep the broodstock, and may do if they intend to return after a break. This kind of falls under the "lots of ways to play on any budget" category, but makes defining an "inactive" stable pretty hard.. The value of the broodstock will go up if the fee stays with the broodstock horse, but the incentive to offer stock on a percentage basis could be reduced somewhat depending on perspectives.

Comment

Let''s not stray off course. No one is preventing anyone from collecting any fees. I said it's not in the best interest of the site to have inactive stables collecting fees and I believe that to be firm. Inactive means inactive..not some what active. "Site" means me and you all...to clarify...us. As time has proven here and most places some folks will look for loopholes to take advantage of certain things. I actually have never even thought about this subject and I appreciate you asking the question. I have a responsibility to make sure there are no loop holes and fair play and this is what I will do. The creation of the fee which has been fantastic for this community was not created with inactive stables in mind so I am not sure how we developed this with the intention to prevent anything from any stable let alone an inactive one. As far as what is more beneficial regarding offspring fees and if it should go to the stable or the horse....I am sure that can be a healthy discussion on the forum and not one I need to get into at this time. Possession is 9/10's ownership right? Well right now the Broodmare and Sire Possess the fee

I kid I kid...listen y'all have fun with this one. I'll check in on this thread here and there but I'm working on some things at the moment. I lost 3 days last weekend replying to posts on this forum getting too involved and I'm not doing it this weekend also. Progress is on my mind!
            Last edited by Administrator; 05-31-2019, 03:23 PM.

Comment

I'd suggest : it's split 3 ways :
              1. Owner of horse
              2. Breeder of horse
              3. Stallion / broodmare owner

so..if you breed the horse then sell you collect on the breeder part for the horses lifetime and if it was bred with your own stock you'd collect as both the breeder and stallion owner as well. if I bred a horse using others brood and stallion then later sell such horse or it's claimed I'd still collect as breeder forever.

would this work or maybe I'm missing something
              Midwest Racing

Comment

If you split it then I think you start diluting the amount each gets to the point where it probably doesn’t make it worth it to offer % breeding. Personally I think it should be a contract that stays with the horse. If you sell the horse you should consider that potential future earnings into the price you want to get for the horse.

Comment

I too believe it should stay with the broodstock. It can increase the chance, or value, of a sale. A seller could factor in loss of % and declare the sale in the Forum with the % returns as incentive to buy.

N
                  "There's a fine line between winning and losing... it's called The Finish Line"

Comment

Originally posted by Midwest Racing View Post
                    I'd suggest : it's split 3 ways :
                    1. Owner of horse
                    2. Breeder of horse
                    3. Stallion / broodmare owner

so..if you breed the horse then sell you collect on the breeder part for the horses lifetime and if it was bred with your own stock you'd collect as both the breeder and stallion owner as well. if I bred a horse using others brood and stallion then later sell such horse or it's claimed I'd still collect as breeder forever.

would this work or maybe I'm missing something
                    That was how I thought it worked, which is how the post got started.

Comment

[QUOTE=Administrator;n128729]Let''s not stray off course. No one is preventing anyone from collecting any fees.

I really wish Admin would stop flying off the handle every time I post. You said you don't want inactive stables collecting fees, and I merely pointed out that it makes no difference whether the fee stays with the offspring or the broodstock in that regard.

Comment

Originally posted by And More Racing Stable View Post
                        If you split it then I think you start diluting the amount each gets to the point where it probably doesn’t make it worth it to offer % breeding. Personally I think it should be a contract that stays with the horse. If you sell the horse you should consider that potential future earnings into the price you want to get for the horse.
                        If we are going to discuss this can we use words like offspring and broodstock. "The horse" is confusing. Which horse, both the offspring and the parent are horses.

Comment

[QUOTE=Nut Brown Racing;n128744]
                          Originally posted by Administrator View Post
                          Let''s not stray off course. No one is preventing anyone from collecting any fees.

I really wish Admin would stop flying off the handle every time I post. You said you don't want inactive stables collecting fees, and I merely pointed out that it makes no difference whether the fee stays with the offspring or the broodstock in that regard.
                          Trust me...I'm not flying off the handle. However I have learned that in some cases I need to be more direct and detailed due to how some like to take words out of context to create a narrative. it's also your entitled opinion and perfectly ok! No worries though...I will scale down my direct involvement on the forum as I am learning quickly that I can't please everyone.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                          X