Track Preference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track Preference

I had a little extra time on my hands today and sorted out my stable by track preference.

I currently have 74 horses active and racing.

The number that prefer dirt: 37

The number that prefer turf: 37

I guess admin was correct when he stated that track preference is about a 50/50 proposition.

Would be interested to see if other stables are experiencing the same breakdown,

Burky
    STAR OF THE DESERT STABLE
    LAS VEGAS, NEVADA, USA
    HANDICAPPING DUD

Of the ones in my stable that have run this season, the split is 12-3 Dirt/Turf

Small sample size though
    Jason, owner of Aragon Stables operating out of Perth, Australia

Comment

By just sort of scanning thru my stable but not doing an actual count I would say it is pretty close to 50/50.

I will say though that I'm not entirely sure about the accuracy of all the preferences listed. I have questions about it that I am going to have to do some testing and experimenting with.

I have many horses that I had already flagged from performance as either dirt only or turf only and the preference listed for those horses validated my assignments. However, I also have several horses where I assigned dirt or turf based on performance but the program preference is the opposite and it's not even close. For example...horses who haven't made a penny in several starts on the listed preference but have made $200-$300 on the opposite surface.

Comment

Without going into details, every horse that runs on the preferred surface type receives a benefit in some way that otherwise is not given on the opposite surface. There are so many factors that impact performance and the going is just one of them. It's factual and 100% accurate. AMR your previous post on another thread is more in line with how to think about it. I believe with more turf races and types of races you will begin to see different results in the research.

Bob

Comment

Thanks Bob and yes I do believe that at least the concept of what I said in that previous post is relatively accurate. I know there are other factors to consider. I probably used the wrong word when I said not sure about the accuracy. What I really meant was that some of the results I see compared to the listed preference are confusing. That's where the testing and research I intend to do comes into play. Without going into detail (don't want to give away potential secrets...lol) I have some definite ideas that I want to test.

For anyone who missed my previous post I said that I believe the surface preference doesn't mean that a horse should only run on that surface but that the preference is probably weighted say 90%/10% where they are going to be "only" productive on that surface to 51%/49% where they are competitive on either surface or it could be anywhere in between. There was a post elsewhere I believe by WRF about being concerned that having the preference listed might cause some races not to fill. My comment regarding that...especially to newer players...is don't take the listed preference as gospel that you can only run the horse on that surface. Try a horse before giving up on a surface. I have several horses that are pretty equally competitive in stakes and other races on both surfaces.

Comment

It's not nice to keep secrets from friends lol.

Burky
            STAR OF THE DESERT STABLE
            LAS VEGAS, NEVADA, USA
            HANDICAPPING DUD

Comment

I have to discover them first Burky...the secrets not the friends!

Comment

Working...
              X