Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on .............

Hello all,
    I just thought i would post this and get thoughts of other stables as i think it is an interesting topic.
    Basically what determines the price of a horse? So we will all clearly look at a horses race form, earnings and confirms. What do you as a stable look for in a horse?
    So say your horse has....

4 x EX confirms and 1 x G and runs 108.50 with 5 allowance wins and 2 stakes places earning of 98k peak age 4. *DD-Colin *DD-Makybe Diva

3 x G 2 x VG confirms but runs 108.28 2 stakes wins and only placed in 5 allowance races earnings 167k peak age 3. *DD-Dialed In *DD-Lil Indy(Now this is all made up for example purposes.)

How would you price the 2 horses above?

Now do you look at the breeding of a horse to look at the SIRE and DAM to see what the form of them are like? or do you say well the breeding sire and dam aint that good as not much on show as they are both new into the breeding pool but it can race and has proven form?

I`m curious as to what stables look for when looking to buy a horse. Then the next question do you have a way of valuing a horse? So much per confirm? Go by its race form even with bad work times? Must it show good work times before you would even consider purchasing?

More important would you buy in auction?

I don't have a way of valuing a horse, but I do have a way I determine if a horse is worth the asking price. If I feel I can get a better value in claimers, or the SR, then the horse is overpriced.

As to value, if I think a horse will win $200,000 then it's worth $50,000. If a 4 EX were breeding it might make $400 in breeds so it's worth $100.

Analytically, in my mind a horse is worth 25% of it's potential earnings.

In reality, at auction, I might pay more, due to drunken stupidity. The horses you listed, have already made a bulk of their race earnings, so I would base them solely on breeding potential. Horse 2 has no breeding potential in my barn so I would pass.

All horses have some value....( Ok, most horses)

Candy.

Comment

Just to add to this, there is more than one way to value a horse. One is based on comparable sales and the other is earnings potential. If 4 EX horses sell for $75, then that's what they are worth.

The other formula would be earnings - fees - cost. I estimate fees for a good horse to be about 30%. If a horse earns $500k then the worth would be $500k - $150k - 15k or $335k. Its all in the eye of the beholder. Induna has 80 of your breeders currently for sale for $250k so the value is about $3,50 each.

Candy.

Comment

always go with quality over quanity! what im seeing alot of is one shot wonders!!! i do believe that gene is in the public page! has the public breeders page produced a 5 ex horse? i wouldnt sell a stakes winner in here for less then a 150k! once a horse hits the claimers and cant win there, then its $1 night or click click boom! by watering down the public page with cast offs you just de-value your stock! hoping to catch a fish! and if enough fish bite then maybe a profit! but the fish dont usually come back!but some people play the no.s game! the more runners and breeders you have the more $$ spent, why dont you just put all you horses up for auction? 1 at a time, then divide the $$$ into no. of horses and you will get your value of your stable! i think all sales should go through public auction instead of out the back door!! kinda prevents a merger! which originally was in the dd rule book! if all sales went thru the auction ring it would stop abunch of the chicanery! then you would truly know the value of a horse!! when an un-worked sr horse can win for 10k and not get claimed, then win a stake next race, whats his value? the value is in the bet! the bet being entry fee! thats as close as it gets! and the value of a horse changes from race to race! breeders are a dime a dozen! in the breeding game conforms and apr of offspring will determine value! ex,s are the driving force! the more ex,s the more the value! so for new players i suggest claim a few! learn to work the game, then go to the sales ring! you get the kentucky breds there! lol, not some lower grade state breds!! lmao!! as always The Col. ( owner of cowboy way racing and president of the dd breeders association )

Comment

Working...
        X