Experiment #2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experiment #2

Because Whisperz will be in the workout phase for quite some time, I thought it might be more interesting to the not so new stables, if we bought a cheap horse off the Sales Page that has raced and has workout history and see if we can win a couple of dollars with it.

I am on a limited budget but I found an interesting 3yo gelding. Looked at its works which were under 1:09.00 but hadn't shown that form on the track. At 800 credits purchase price, I think it is worth the gamble to see if we can improve him somehow.

Downtown Clown He hadn't been vetted but the original owner had experimented with different combinations of meds but raced him set-up differently to what the Vet said "Maximum Bute and Vitamins will help, no Lasix"

CAL Dirt fst 6.0f
    22.32 45.20 1:08.94 Gomez G(P) BV 120 b 1
    STA: 100 STR: 96 SPD: 100 END: 100 FIT: 100
    was his best work as a yearling.

22.32 first split is an awkward time. It doesn't tell you whether it is a sprinter or a router until they hit the track but looking at most of his runs (on push) he can sprint ok. So we will concentrate on that first. He only cost us 800 credits, so it gives us plenty of scope to put in cheap races and if claimed we make a small profit.

Unfortunately in my haste, I messed up his meters, so it will take about 3 days to get him back to race fitness. So until then, we will have to leave Experiment #2.

Downtown Clown is slowly getting up to race fitness.

Meters currently:

SPD/STM/STR/END/FIT

90/87/85/78/100

If we gave him a 11f lpg workout tomorrow, STM & STR could hit 95-96 which as you know means those cannot go any higher. So here is a neat trick which only works when STM/STR/END are all 87 or less with SPD 88+. We will give him a 11f medium rider gallop. This will give us 100 SPD but only move the middle 3 a few points i.e. under 95. It adds an extra day to the daily train but we have a better chance of getting 100s across the board.

Comment

Our 3yo gelding's meters have come up nicely. Endurance is a bit down @ 96 but shouldn't affect him too much in a sprint. All other meters are 100. Meters are up, we can look for a suitable race for him. We can enter him in a race using the wait time as his rest day/s.

Perfect race for him:

01/07/2015 #25 CAL 5f Dirt 10K Claiming

Looking through his works and races he has a bit of pace (around 22.0 first 2f) and has won up to 6f being pushed.

So our initial set-up is:

1. Sutherland
      2. Oliver
      3. Krutz

Push from Gate.

I chose Sutherland and Oliver because they are both in form and Krutz is a good 5f jock on push.

We keep our fingers crossed that he draws inside @ CAL.

We may need to change our set-up if we don't get one of our jockey selections or an awkward draw.

Comment

Not the best gate for our champion, 6 from 7, however we did score our 2nd jock choice. There is a lot of pace on our inside i.e. 3 run the first 2f in 21.91. The program will allow only 3 to push forward so no matter what instruction we use, even push, DC will be dragged back to the rear. So we will stick with push and hope that he can sit in behind the pace, not dropping back too far and run on.

Comment

Went pretty much as we predicted. DC went to the rear. Unfortunately for us the #1 kicked clear on the turn and DC had to work through traffic with the 5f being too short. But we got a few credits for the effort, but our newly gained knowledge about this horse was worth a lot more to us for the future.

Returning meters: SPD/STM/STR/END/FIT are 75/85/85/73/72

We would normally give him a 11f lpg daily train now before midnight. We can do this because he has already had a rest day waiting for race day, but there is a better training option. We have used it before. Do you remember?

I used the normal 11f lpg to show you what happens when a couple of the middle meters are high after a race.

Meters now: 90/96/98/83/90

STM/STR kicked into the 95-99 range and we can't raise them any further but it shouldn't worry us next run because we will be looking for a 6f race. Notice that END is low. DC needed this to keep his SPD ticking over before SPD tanked at 75. You will notice that no matter what distance race your horses run in, the SPD meter will always be 75 after the race. We can check the other meters after the race to see what our horse needed to end the race with the SPD meter on 75. DC didn't need STR/STM for this 5f hitout because after a race, 85 is the topend of those meters but he did need a lot of END, remember it was 96 before his race. So, in future we will have to make sure that END is always high for him. When we try longer races with him, we will see the other meters start dropping.

What was the better train? 11f medium. SPD would've gone to high 80s, STR/STM to low 90s, END to low 80s and FIT mid 80s. We probably would have had to add an extra day train to get END up but the 3 key meters should have been 100s.

Tomorrow's work: Because we want END to get high, the usual 11f lpg will likely put END around 95. Could be a point or two high or low. Low is good. So we will give DC the 11f medium tomorrow. It will bring SPD to 100, FIT might go into 95/96 range with the midnight creep (plenty of informtion on this) but I will answer it if need be in the Q & A for those stables unfamiliar with it. Send me a private message if so.

You can now see with one experimental horse, how much valuable information we can draw just from one race which he didn't win.

THW
          Last edited by The Horse Whisperer; 01-07-2015, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Our experimental horse is resting waiting for his next race.

Meters: 100/96/98/100/100

I have chosen another 10K Claimer (1/12/2014) but over 6f dirt @ BEL this time.

The jocks (in order) Sutherland, Rose, Gomez.

The field is filling up and I may need to change the instruction from push to jockey decides or steady after the race is listed. I like Rose and Gomez as these types of jocks but if I decide to push and I miss out on Sutherland, then I will have to look for a good push jock.

Comment

Our experimental horse drew 6 of 11 with our 3rd jock choice, Gomez. There are a lot of horses on his inside equal to his first 2f split (around 22.2) and one on his outside faster at 22.10. So it is obvious DC isn't going to get to the lead clearly, so we have to find a way to get him to sit close behind the pace. If we push him with his current set-up, he will fight for the lead in the first 2f, then be dragged back because of we assume, 3 equal horses on his inside. One or two horses on his inside will be dragged back too and it is likely that DC will be sitting 3 or 4 wide behind the leaders. If we use steady or relax, he will probably go too far back. So our only instruction options are push or jockey decides. I prefer to use jockey decides in mile/9f races and with certain horses. DC isn't one of those horses, so I'm going to try something different based on his works.

He has a work with Gomez on push using a tongue-tie. First split is 12 points slower but the end time was only a few points slower. This should drag him back more sharply and hopefully Gomez can push him up under the #4 & #5 as they drop in for the sit. A bit of a gamble, but with some luck it might work. Going to take the blinkers off and put the tongue tie on, with Gomez on push.
              Last edited by The Horse Whisperer; 01-12-2015, 12:35 AM.

Comment

The experimental horse looked good at the start, dropped back to where we wanted him to, sat outside the eventual winner #5 and had the outside division running wide but unfortunately the jock took him 3 wide instead of holding his lane around the turn and he only plodded to the line.

We have pushed him the last 2 starts. I want to look for a suitable mile race next and see how he performs with another instruction.

So back to stable for 2 or 3 daily trains and then look for his next race.

Comment

Our experimental horse broke thru last start drawing pole (on steady) and controlled the race keeping the other 2 starters wide, then drawing away in the run home.

Today, he has drawn pole again in a small field but up in class with an extra furlong to travel, meeting 3 horses dropping down in class. David against 3 Goliaths.

I had chosen Sutherland, Rose and Smith in that order. Got Smith but decided to use Krone on steady instead. I doubt that Downtown Clown will lead but he should sit behind the pace and hopefully run on like last time. Relax is also an option but as we haven't tried that yet, I have decided to stick with steady. If he leads and fades, then we will try relax next time, depending on draw, of course.
                  Last edited by The Horse Whisperer; 01-23-2015, 03:53 AM.

Comment

I don't know about you but I think Downtown Clown has served his purpose and taught us how we can buy a very cheap horse off the Sales Page, adjust a few things and get him to be competitive in a few classes higher.

I'll be putting him in a 2K Claimer next start and leave him there until claimed and then move on to our next project.

Comment

I saw something with Downtown Clown with its last start that I didn't realize earlier. It was his first run on turf and he seemed to handle it a lot better than dirt. So instead of finishing with this experiment, I decided to put him in another turf race in the same class. He drew pole again so I have set him the same as last time. Krone on steady. It is a furlong less and if he leads again will be hard to beat.

Comment

Our experimental horse, Downtown Clown finished 3rd of 4 and looked to have no excuses and was no match for the ones that beat him home. I will end this experiment and put him in a low claimer in the next couple of days. He looks ideally suited to 20K-30K Claimers and by adjusting the instructions can compete 5f-9f. We were able to bring him up from a cheap buy off the Sales Page to a mid-range Claimer.

THW

Comment

Working...
                        X