Horse Placement.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse Placement.

One of the new stables was in chat asking about horse placement. This is what I sent him. Figured I'd share for other new stables to see. Hope this helps.

A little bit on how I place my horses.

First keep in mind I predominantly run sprinters. I generally only breed sprinters so I mostly end up with the same.

For ungelded colts and fillies that have what I consider good breeding here is an idea of what I would do with them based on 6 F work time.

Sub 1.08.80. Probably not a good idea to start a horse out in stakes races like qualifiers though people do it and i've done it but a horse this fast I'd be tempted. Other wise I'd be looking at big purse maidens. Early next season the maiden shotguns will be back. They have added cash and usually have nice purses. Also the eliminator would be in sight for a horse like this.
    1.08.80-1.09.00. Open Allowance races. Added maidens.
    1.09.00-1.09.15 Cheaper maidens upper level claiming
    1.09.15-1.09.25 Big drop here I'd probably run 20k-40k claimer and good chance i'd be tickled if it were claimed.
    1.09.25 and up i'd start in lower claimers. probably 12k
    1.09.40 if i even decide to risk running it would probably be a 3k claimer.

Lesser quality breeds and geldings I'd run a bit lower than the above with the same workouts. I've even ran sub 1.09 horses I didnt have much faith in in 20k claimers first out. maybe not a smart move but until membership really picks up and I start losing these horses to claim I'll probably continue doing it for easy wins.

Also keep in mind that I have a slightly different philosophy that most. Most people run their horses at the optimal level that they can win at for the best money. Me I tend to run a horse at the cheapest level that I feel it wont be claimed at or at a level I'd be happy with it being claimed. Why i have a slightly higher winning percentage than most but considerably less earnings.

After they race you can get a better idea of what level a horse will compete at. I get a good post in a maiden and a decent run but not happy with result. next out I will generally go straight to a 20k claimer and continue to drop based on results.

Hope this helps,
    Brian
    _____
    ** at 21:06, Brian joined the Lobby...
    Brian Ta Das...

https://www.facebook.com/digitaldowns.us
    https://twitter.com/Digitaldowns_US
Working...
X