Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feature Request - Sending a hose for a spell

Hello admin, wanted to post here an idea I was thinking on:

Sending the horse for a spell is just the label I've attached to having the ability to once per season exclude a horse from being able to be entered into races, and during this time have unlimited training turned back on for it ( was thinking a period of 10-14 days ). One of my frustrations is that after a horse is 'dialed' in initially, it's difficult to go back and try new combinations with each new timed work having to be 2-3 days apart. Especially given that we're led to believe a horses preferences can change distance, surface and tack wise when it undergoes an age change, it would be beneficial to be able to start over and try all of the various combinations like we do with fresh 2yo's, but that would take months with the 1 train a day limit. I can see this being an advantage in 3 ways:

1) Stables like myself who have just returned mid-season, have horses in the stable that conceivably want different distances/instructions/adds than when they were run last. To try and do a thorough job of sorting that though will take me until the end of the season, or what is more likely I'll just run them at what they liked previously, they'll lose, they'll get shot. Being able to send them all out and get them dialed in over a 2 week period would be much more enjoyable than that.

2) As previously stated it would be beneficial at the age change. Taking the time to re-set up the horses best combinations is going to save a lot of horses from the shotgun I feel both in their 2YO season ( being kept around to see how they age ) and once they age to 3YO people would potentially expend the effort to see what they have.

3) The claiming game. There have been times where I've seen a horse in a claimer that I think has potential because I believe something has been missed in the way the trainer worked it, but I haven't pulled the trigger because it would take too much training time to see if I was right training wise. Being able to place a claim, send the horse out to spell and get a chance to work the horse up 'YOUR' way I think could see an uptick in claims.

On the housekeeping side, you'd either need to allow it to be 1 spell per horse, per stable the horse spends time in, otherwise you'd need to have some physical marker on the horses profile to indicate if it's available to be sent for a spell this season. I'd leave it up to the admins' discretion as to whether sending them out does anything to the 'hidden' values a horse carries. Could be a chance to kill 2 birds with one stone if a horse is experiencing a slump.

I have no idea whether this is possible code wise, but I think it should be. Hopefully the community comments. No need to rush it, think on it some and see whether people would utilize it.

Jason, owner of Aragon Stables operating out of Perth, Australia

I could see the desire for this especially if you claim a horse and it wasn't worked before racing up to your standards...i know i was frustrated several times when there wasnt a baseline work done correctly on a horse I had claimed. Usually not worth the time to try to rework the horse given the time it requires.

Instead of adding new programming what if we were to try to convince Lone to give unlimited training to all horses on the last day of the season...since we do a reset anyway the end result would basically be the same. All horses would be ready to run on the first of the new season. Could actually do away with the reset and everyone would be responsible for having their horses ready to go at midnight that night...?

Another benefit would be with the time restraints we have at the end of the season. Stables wouldnt have to worry about getting a horse fit for End of Season Stakes races if they raced in a Champ race earlier that week, .they'd just have be on and do it before the race starts....

What do you think Lone?
    ** at 21:06, Brian joined the Lobby...
    Brian Ta Das...

https://www.facebook.com/digitaldowns.us
    https://twitter.com/Digitaldowns_US

Comment

I would rather see unlimited training on first day of new season.. reason is then u can check all your 3 n 4 yr olds to see how much of a change they did have JMO
      The King Has Spoken

Comment

The first day of the new season would seem to make more sense to me also since it's post age change. The 2 issues I see are that any change like that will always give the bigger stables an advantage when it requires you to block out a very specific small window as they're the ones who are around all the time. Secondly, a blanket gain with no loss/price to pay runs the risk of coming down on the wrong side of the is it a skill game/ is it a gambling site ledger. Just my opinion though

But yes, I know adding new code is problematic and so any agreeable compromise that achieves the same goals would be welcomed
        Last edited by Aragon Stables; 07-13-2017, 08:12 PM.
        Jason, owner of Aragon Stables operating out of Perth, Australia

Comment

I'm not a fan of giving a day of free training at the end or beginning of a season for 2 reasons...
          1. if someone misses that 1 specific day because of work or other commitments or any other reason then they are disadvantaged
          2. I think it would lower entries during that period as people would keep their horses free to train

I also think that being able to exclude one of your own horses for unlimited training takes away from the skill of the game and I don't think it's necessary unless you mis-diagnosed the horse to begin with. I personally don't find that horses change in regard to distance, surface, adds etc. They just either maintain their ability or they regress and that can usually be determined in a race or work or two.

I do like the idea of unlimited training after claiming a horse or maybe even after buying at auction or from the sales page, etc. In other words a new horse in your barn. I think this would especially boost the claiming game and maybe even buying horses in general if you can test your way them in a short period of time.

My 2-cents...

Comment

Originally posted by And More Racing Stable View Post
            I'm not a fan of giving a day of free training at the end or beginning of a season for 2 reasons...
            1. if someone misses that 1 specific day because of work or other commitments or any other reason then they are disadvantaged
            2. I think it would lower entries during that period as people would keep their horses free to train

I also think that being able to exclude one of your own horses for unlimited training takes away from the skill of the game and I don't think it's necessary unless you mis-diagnosed the horse to begin with. I personally don't find that horses change in regard to distance, surface, adds etc. They just either maintain their ability or they regress and that can usually be determined in a race or work or two.

I do like the idea of unlimited training after claiming a horse or maybe even after buying at auction or from the sales page, etc. In other words a new horse in your barn. I think this would especially boost the claiming game and maybe even buying horses in general if you can test your way them in a short period of time.

My 2-cents...

This makes a lot of sense to me and would get my vote.

Norm
            "There's a fine line between winning and losing... it's called The Finish Line"

Comment

Originally posted by Trunoble Lodge View Post

This makes a lot of sense to me and would get my vote.

Norm
              Has my vote also, What AMRS suggested.
              Last edited by Winner Circle Ranch; 07-14-2017, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Winner Circle Ranch View Post

Has my vote also,
                Claiming game would benefit for sure, good idea... bravo

Comment

While I disagree, in that some horses DO change a LITTLE, often from a classic to a router, etc.... these are nominal changes that can be gleaned from 1 or 2 timed workouts.

Regardless, I also agree that we have already opened the barn door VERY WIDE with ULT, Season reset, Hints from Admin re: the racing code, horseshoes to prolong life, confirmation of the independent racing and workout codes, breeding ability is innate at birth, heart is innate at birth, and more.

Let's keep SOME of the game to US, so we can gain advantages, theories, and angles against one another. I don't want us to get in a situation where we are playing Texas Hold'Em with out Hole cards turned up!

I vote for AMRS' idea.....It is SIMPLY for one Site Gain - to learn about a NEWLY-ACQUIRED horse, until it races again. The claiming game will now "Ladder-upward" with much more care and logic. MORE claims will be made on hunches, to be proven. All the while, the barn door is only propped open an extra half-inch.

My best,
                  Orb
                  - Orb Farms

Comment

Working...
                  X