Orb's Oracle, Season 37, Volume 2 --> The VERY Big Picture

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orb's Oracle, Season 37, Volume 2 --> The VERY Big Picture

Morning, morning, morning, my fellow enthusiasts of both "real AND digital" fast-four-legged, maned-monsters!

This morning's issue of the Oracle pertains to a Career here at Digital Downs. I am learning many things, despite 2 calendar years+, and about to head into my 8th season. This season, I REGRET some gelds, I regret OVER-USING some breeders WAY WAY too often in one batch of breeds, and I regret NOT celebrating what I DO have, and focusing way too much negative energy on what I did NOT get.

To build on this post from 05/21, I AM enjoying my season, despite some frustrations on the front end of what is probably the MOST challenging part of this season when viewed through the lens of a CAREER, not a single week, month, or season...... I am having horses who are in poor form right now, but qualifiers are MOSTLY a month away, so there is time to recover. However, compared to the train wreck last season, I have 7 qualifiers in the top 3 in points this season (AT the moment, as there are some budding stars shooting up the ranks with just 2 qualifiers remaining:

(This Message / Post is CONTINUED down below my home-made Orb Farms Season 37 Excel Qualifier/Finals table):

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RANK HORSE POINTS DATE TRACK DISTANCE FINALS RACE
    1 Do The Ribot 27 13-Aug Santa Anita 1 3/8m Digital Downs Route Championship 3yo+ Colts
    1 Orb D N A 25 27-Aug Belmont 6f Create Challenge Sprint Series WFA - Fillies Finals
    1 Royal George 27 31-Aug Belmont 1 M Digital Downs Classic Championship 3yo+ Colts
    2 Towers Of Orb 30 17-Aug Belmont 6f Digital Downs Sprint Championship 3yo+ Colts
    2 Voucher 6 35 31-Aug Belmont 1 M Digital Downs Classic Championship 2yo Colts
    2 Deft 28 31-Aug Belmont 1 M Digital Downs Classic Championship 3yo+ Fillies
    3 Voucher 6 18 13-Aug Santa Anita 1 3/8m Digital Downs Route Championship 2yo Colts
    7 Theatrical 14 13-Aug Santa Anita 1 3/8m Digital Downs Route Championship 2yo Fillies
    8 Infidelity 15 27-Aug Belmont 6f Create Challenge Sprint Series WFA - Colts Finals
    8 Theatrical 15 31-Aug Belmont 1 M Digital Downs Classic Championship 2yo Fillies
    11 Temple Of Giza 6 17-Aug Belmont 6f Digital Downs Sprint Championship 2yo Fillies
    13 Cant Dutch This 4 13-Aug Santa Anita 1 3/8m Digital Downs Route Championship 3yo+ Colts
    17 Ocelot 5 22-Aug Belmont 1 1/4m Create Challenge Route Series WFA - Colts Finals
    19 Gen - Orb 9 17-Aug Belmont 6f Digital Downs Sprint Championship 2yo Colts

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, in SHORT term, I am confident that a few of these 14 Orb Farms Qualifiers will earn some Finals Earnings! BUT, the REALLY challenging thing has been keeping 4 or 5 of these horses as COLTS!!!! I came this far, and many above could have been retired before the season started. So what am I trying to say? I am saying that it is a great long shot (but it happens more frequently of late) to get the CREATE-SUPER BREEDER....... I see a few of you have 2 or 3....... They come and go, season over season......But if you were to look at the Giants and legends - the Hall of Famers that are still here playing the game & just waiting for their Hall of Fame induction.....I would surmise that they would attribute the long, arduous task of finding BALANCE between immediate cash flow needs (winning now, gelding, etc...) and maintaining an "always full of options" breeding shed...... This means thinking long term about keeping all necessary types of horses, including create Filly sprinters, stallion routers on both mom and dad sides, Classic type runners, Mares with tremendous gate speed, etc... All of this offers CHOICE in the future, when breeding time comes, and puzzle pieces are needed to continue bloodlines, and to breed that next QUALIFIER or even champ type horse!

I hope this offers some insight on the "season over season" aspect of a CAREER.....my normal dose of frustrations of course come from individual moments in time, or 6-week stretches, but normally, I can survive through them (BIG thanks to lone, as he probably has learned the Orb "in one ear and out the other" strategy when I do get nearsightedly frustrated LOL! He is a tremendous owner, one who understands how to run a business...

...And I'll say it again - This is the best horse racing game available to humans...... Frustrations came in the past, they will come today, and they WILL come in the future...... But whenever this happens, I go to my "Assistant Trainer" page, where it lists my ENTIRE stable of active horses in one snapshot......and I feel better about myself and my barn!

Best of luck, and three final points:

1. Nominate into the Qualifiers, as ANYTHING "Can" (and often has) happen in those finals races!

2. Keep your very best for breeding, as I am learning about stretches of 'bad form". I haven't figured out the magic pill, but I am certain I can do better at riding these out than I have so far in my career....LOTS of my very best have eventually bounced back, and some of them permanently, and with a VENGEANCE!

3. Read forums, Get in Chat, Ask Questions, Ask for "deals" from other members with breed leases, etc.... You would be surprised how amicable people here are to their fellow owners.

Best of luck, and happy racing,
    ​Orb
    Last edited by Orb Farms; 07-27-2017, 10:36 AM.
    - Orb Farms
Working...
X