Breeding Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breeding Question

I have a question about the % outcome of filly vs colt when breeding. I was using public mares and sires trying to find a good combo for me with good times close to what my one good horse holy limonite is and I found some success with a pair of horses and a filly foal. I wanted to get colts so I bred again and again and only fillies so I kept breeding thinking this cant be so. I need colts so finally after like 9 or 10 straight breedings to this combo I got a colt. I belive the final tally to be 11 fillies 2 colts from that combo. Mare - Lee Ann Womack Sire - Lakers. I am not complaining and the offspring as a whole seemed to be very good in comparison to other horses I have. And More Racing thank you for those couple horses it made it easier on figuring out times.

I guess my question is this. Is this common or does this average out. GG

Hi,in my experience this does even out, although I have not raced much this season,I did breed quite a few and I too got alot of fillies,but in previous seasons it has been the reverse,so it will even out.

Andy.

Comment

You are welcome. From the looks of your success so far it looks like you are learning fast. Well done.

Overall in the long run it evens out. Think of it like flipping a coin. If you flip a coin 100 times heads and tails will come out about 50/50 but during the 100 flips you will probably have streaks where one or the other comes up 5, 8, 10 times in a row. Then the other will do the same at some point. I had that exact scenario a few weeks ago when Bob ran an unraced filly contest so I set out to breed a good filly and of course I got 9 or 10 colts in a row from all different sire/mare combos. Since then I've got more fillies than colts so it evens out.

Now, I don't know if there might be something to the idea that some specific crosses might produce more of one than the other. Like in real life where the male is genetically responsible for the sex of the offspring and some have a dominant gene to produce more of one or the other. I would be interested in hearing from Bob on that subject as to whether there is any sex dominance passed by certain sires or mares in DD breeding or if the sex is completely random.

Comment

Thanks guys. I sure hope this one line performs I kinda went all in on one sire. Could be a disaster. I landed more colts also so I see that things settle

Comment

Working...
        X