X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jockey Selection

By Norm of Getting Lucky Lodge

JOCKEY SELECTION

When first starting out, it is daunting to see a list of 30 or so jockeys to choose from and only a one line explanation about each jockey. Unfortunately, this one-liner does not give you the inside scoop about the ability of each jockey. It is just a generalization. D/D cannot further elaborate on each jockey for one simple reason. Like horses, jockeys can go through highs and lows each season. Some can hold their good form over a number of seasons, others can come good for one or two seasons then slump and others may only have one good or partially good season never to be competitive again.

Nomination: One important thing to note, jockeys have no loyalty to any stable/horse. Their only loyalty is to the horse which has won the most money in each race. Therefore, if two or more stables select the same jockey to ride their horses, the jockey will opt for the one which has won the most prizemoney, even if the form of that horse is inferior to the other. This is the reason why D/D asks for 3 jockey nominations (in priority order). If all 3 of your nominated jockeys favor other horses in a race, then D/D will offer you the next non-selected jockey from the Overall Jockey Money Winning List. Be warned, this may be a jockey that is in a current slump. However, you can change the jockey to another preferred non-selected one up to an hour before the race.

Which jockeys to select? There are good turf jockeys, good dirt jockeys, good sprint jockeys, good route jockeys and good all-rounders. If you have the time, it would be beneficial to do a bit of analysis of past results (a month or two) and note which races a jockey has been more competitive in. If you don't have the time, then the best option would be to select from the top 10 jockeys of the current season, but as I stated in the previous paragraph, you may not get any of your nominated jockeys because they are in more demand by other stables.

Another point to remember. Just because Jockey X won on the horse last start, does not necessarily mean he/she is the best jockey for the horse in future events. Be flexible.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above should help a new stable but there is a lot more to jockey selection and it is a very important aspect of the game. All stables (new or old) should do a post-race analysis finding answers to one of these two questions...

1. Why did my horse lose?

2. Why did my horse win?

Part of the answer can be found in another question...

Did I choose the best jockey?
    Last edited by Ryan Express; 11-12-2007, 09:43 PM.
Working...
X