Some Tips For Noobs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Tips For Noobs

First off let me welcome you to Digitaldowns. This is such an amazing place. It is fun, challenging, competitive, and most of all you can taste what it is like to own and train real race horses. The site was founded by horseman, who have played on other sites, and thought they could bring you something both affordable, and realistic. Let me offer you some personal thoughts.

1)Dont come in and expect to beat down all the vets right off the bat. Where as they are more then willing to help a new player out, they have put in their homework and most know how to get their horses trained up, and the spots to put them in. Do YOUR homework and study posts on the boards, test things, try things, find something that works for you. All the players on here have different styles and there is success to be found handling your business different ways.

2) Early in the season especially, look for cheap claims on horses that are given up on too quickly. If you see a horse with good works, or good pedigree, and they had one or two so so races, dont be afraid to gamble. Some trainers like aquaman and florida farms, are always on the hunt for good claims, and both have found stakes quality horses in cheap claimers.

3)Breeding costs a little, but putting in the extra few dollars on proven studs can pay off in the longrun.

4)Always be on the hunt for broodmares. 4 year and up fillies(mares cannot be retired for breeding until they are 4)(you get 15 breeds per mare) are in high demand, if you can spot one at a decent price, pick it up and start your stock with something with some class!

5)Watch races, anaylze why your horse did what they did. Make adjustments accordingly.

6)When training and time trialing horses, be consistant. Test things with the same weight, jockeys..and after breeding or claiming a horse, always make sure they have been taken to the vet. It takes out the guess work for medication, well worth the 1 dollar.

7)NETWORK!! always check your private messages and send others messages asking for deals and help. Being a classy trainer who is active is negotiating is essential to success! Help others and others will help you!

8)Have fun and participate in contests, tournaments, and be active on the message boards. There is some trash talking, and complaining from time to time, but dont take things too serious. Its a game and should be played for fun.

I have not even been close to a top trainer around here, but I do know what it takes to be successful. Patience, Studying, Networking, and Being Active, are all keys to success! Enjoy the game, and dont forget to say hi on the boards! Introduce yourself
    Last edited by The 16th Pole Racing Inc; 11-15-2013, 09:33 PM.
    Joe
Working...
X