Castro....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Castro....

A few seasons back i decided that many jockeys here at DD were being under utilised. I know we read where it states that jockeys can make a big difference in races, but based on the fact that they ARE NOT real jocks, i could not understand how they could have such an influence. I still dont. I just think that there are way too many variables and scenario's in EVERY race for jockeys selections to have an impact. So back at that time, i decided to try and " lift " the profile of a very low ranking DD jockey. I selected Carlos Castro, who at the time.. about a month into the season, had only ridden in 5/6 races. No winners, no in the money, very much like most of his previous few seasons. I put Carlos Castro on all my horses ( it was season 23) and he rode quite a lot of winners for me. Other trainers began taking notice and used him as well. He began to ride winners on a very frequent basis that season.. and went on to be the leading rider for the season with a 24% strike rate. In my mind its proof that most riders are equal. Anyhow.. i was greatly saddened this morning here in Australia. I was looking up and trying to read about the real lives of most of our DD riders, and read where Carlos Castro was struck by a train near the town of Ranson, West Virginia, back in February this year. It states that he has been paralysed from the waist down, amongst many other things. I have a very soft spot for C Castro here at DD and as a result, i'm going to make him my stable jockey for next season, kind of in his honour. I hope to see him win the premiership here again next year. On a side note to his unfortunate accident.. do any of our USA players have any information about him, id like to know more about his life in the real world...thanks Shane

Very sad to hear about Carlos Castro

Comment

Thanks Greeko.. i appreciate that. His story will be an interesting one..

Comment

Working...
      X