Melbourne Cup Sweep

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melbourne Cup Sweep

On the first Tuesday in November, each year, Australia's richest race, The Melbourne Cup, is run over 3200 meters (2 miles) on the turf. The field consists of the 24 best weight handicap gallopers, not only in Australia, but wordwide. No American horse has won it yet, although last year a French horse called "Americain" did win it. It was 2nd favorite at 12/1. It is affectionately called "The Race That Stops The Nation". Everyone listens to it, from schoolkids, people who never bet and diehard gamblers. Just over 5 million in prizemoney on the race and approximate betting on the race Australia-wide would be over 100 million.

In classrooms, business offices, hotels and clubs, it is customary to hold a Sweepstakes on the race. In essence, 24 people put in x amount of money each (e.g. $5) and the $120 pool is split up (by percentage) to the people who drew the winner, second and third places and money back for last place.
    Everyone gets a horse and if there is a late scratching, the 'owner' of that horse gets their money back and the pool is reduced accordingly.

This year the race is run on Nov. 1st at 3.00pm Aust. EST (Midnight Monday US EST, I think) with the field finalized on the Saturday night before (10/29/2011).

I was thinking if we have enough interested we could run a DD Sweepstakes on the Melbourne Cup. We could do it through our Stable Accounts with Carl deducting the ticket price and paying out the winners after the race. Carl might even like to buy a ticket, I hope so, because that will be a horse that I can eliminate for the race

Norm
    Last edited by Getting Lucky Lodge; 10-24-2011, 11:18 PM.
    Getting Lucky Lodge

Alice Springs, AUSTRALIA

Hey Norm,

Sounds like fun to me, so if it's a go i am in.

Regards

Colin

Comment

Im in..love the CUP!!!

Comment

Sure, Norm, anything to keep you Aussies in action...LOL! Count me in.

Aquaman

Comment

Working...
        X