Aussie racing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aussie racing

The more i sit here and watch Aussie racing, the more i get confused. Why in God's green earth to the odds jump around like a jumping bean? Do they do it to throw the bettors off?? I mean every race the odds are all over the place. You bet a horse at 12-1 as they are loading and the favorite goes to 10-1 and the horse i put 5 across on drops to 2-1. The racing is one giant pack all the way around the track in the routes. They look for the favs and try and box them in..Its a much different style then I am used to watching. You can see jockeys working together..Maybe we are all just biased to what we are used to. I just dont understand it.
    Joe

Joe, its the system they use here..called TAB. Government run agency whereby the fluctuating odds are determined by the weight of money for each horse. The betting pools are for any race (greyhounds,racehorses, harness horses) are refreshed about every minute. As a race gets near to its start time punters invest more and the odds do jump about a bit. The heaviest betting time is always a few minutes out from the jump, so there is a lot of fluctuating. If betteros dont like it they have the option of taking "FIXED ODDS" . If they have $10 on a horse at 10/1 and it wins, they get the 10/1 price. I think you said something somewhere about "TWIN SPIRES", so i will presume this is your betting outlet over the computer....i will have a look at there website and see what is happening..

Our jockeys are well known for riding at close quarters. Its a "give no, take no prisoner' attitude downunder. They are fearless and dont want to be giving away big headstarts when the runners "head for the judge"..Our jockeys tend to be put under the stewards microscopes a fair bit. One of our greats, Malcolm Johnston, was suspended more than 35 times in his career..go in and have a look.We are very proud of our jockeys. As far as boxing in the favourites, here is the attitude...if your on the red hot fav and you get yourself in a bad snooker and get beat, well...thats not the fault of the other riders..you shouldnt of let yourself get into such a spot. You wont be riding that horse next week. This country is full of world class jockeys and one of them can ride it!!!!!~!!

Comment

Well said Shane. I watched the racing at several different tracks. They usually show about 2/3 per night here. I just noticed the style is so very much different. It seems more longshots come in too. Maybe because of the larger fields. Ive watched about 4 or 5 nights now, and it just baffles me that they run in a big cluster like that..Especially in the super long routes...Its like lets all jog around for a mile and then we can battle it out in the stretch. Its much more jockey positioning. I still dont get the way the odds bounce so drastic. In american racing the odds jump sometimes, but it seems way more drastic. Also I have no idea what class races are better then others..So it is impossible to read the racing forum unless you know what it all means. I guess I could do some research, but I am not sure I want to put forth the time lol
      Joe

Comment

Joe, my guess is that the odds you are seeing are U.S. odds. Therefore a small pool where a couple of hundred bucks will alter the odds dramatically.

If you want to pursue this avenue and maybe a few bucks can be made. Check the betting fluctuations on an Aussie tote site e.g.

www.unitab.com.au

If you really want to get into it, free form guides for every Aussie track:

www.risa.com.au

Remember 95% of Aussie racing is weight handicaps and also run in specific class ratings.

Norm
        "There's a fine line between winning and losing... it's called The Finish Line"

Comment

Working...
        X