Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

Probably a stupid question and it is sad that Falcon is not here on his birthday to make fun of my naive question but there is something that I have pondered for quite a while. You always hear of horses being retired to stud duty, but what happens if an active racer gets out of his stall and visits a lady friend out back of the barn? Is the horse then not allowed to race anymore because it has been used as a stud? Is the offspring not eligible to race for some reason? It's had to happen some time or the other. Anyone with any knowledge on this issue?
    ** at 21:06, Brian joined the Lobby...
    Brian Ta Das...

https://www.facebook.com/digitaldowns.us
    https://twitter.com/Digitaldowns_US

i have no knowledge..

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Dog Soup Stables
      Probably a stupid question and it is sad that Falcon is not here on his birthday to make fun of my naive question but there is something that I have pondered for quite a while. You always hear of horses being retired to stud duty, but what happens if an active racer gets out of his stall and visits a lady friend out back of the barn? Is the horse then not allowed to race anymore because it has been used as a stud? Is the offspring not eligible to race for some reason? It's had to happen some time or the other. Anyone with any knowledge on this issue?

I should think the horse would be able to keep racing. If there was a rule against it, who would tell, certainly the horse wouldn't although the big grin on his face might give it away. His racing days may be finished though, not through a ruling but his concentration may have altered to a new path. I guess if the owners still wanted him to race, gelding may be the best option.

As far as the offspring goes, I have heard of cases in Australia where a mare has gotten out of her paddock and got herself knocked up but they weren't sure who the sire was. The offspring is listed as "by Unknown" and I think, from memory, it can only race in restricted races i.e. non-City.

This is only guesswork from the little bits of racing knowledge I have read/heard about. If Shane has no knowledge and he has been involved in racing a lot more than I have, then maybe it is a very rare occurrence or isn't disclosed to the Racing Industry.

Norm
      "There's a fine line between winning and losing... it's called The Finish Line"

Comment

lol thanks guys was just wondering.

Seems I've heard that there are some odd rules especially when it comes to breeding. I cant find it now but wasn't there a case, I want to say it was a Secretariat offspring that they tried to do some sort of genetic modification with or similar and the governing organization had banned the offspring from racing for 10 generations?
        ** at 21:06, Brian joined the Lobby...
        Brian Ta Das...

https://www.facebook.com/digitaldowns.us
        https://twitter.com/Digitaldowns_US

Comment

[QUOTE=Trunoble Stable] As far as the offspring goes, I have heard of cases in Australia where a mare has gotten out of her paddock and got herself knocked up but they weren't sure who the sire was. The offspring is listed as "by Unknown" and I think, from memory, it can only race in restricted races i.e. non-City.

Funny you should mention that, because several years ago my brother claimed a mare from a trainer who raced the horse unknowingly that she was in foal. My brother's groom told him she thought the horse might be in foal a few days after the claim, and he thought she was crazy. Sure enough, the horse was in foal and they had no idea who the sire was. My brother's owner bred her and fittingly named the colt "Who's My Daddy". The mare returned to the races the following year with limited success on the track.

I have heard of cases with sires being duds in the breeding shed, and then return to the races. To answer Brian's original question, horses can breed and then return to race, but it seldom happens.

Aquaman

Comment

I think also, in reality prob much like here, if you get a couple that are no good, then people tend to abandon ship...You gotta get lucky and get a couple good ones early!
            Joe

Comment

There was a horse in this years Breeders Cup who was a dud instead of a stud, so they returned him to racing.
              *This message will self destruct*

Comment

Working...
              X