Night of the Living Dead

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night of the Living Dead

So I hate killing horses before they run at least 1 race. And have an annoying problem keeping them much longer than that. I go through the list on the daily report almost everyday and see tons of horses getting the chop before running. So I wanted to propose a series and get some feedback.

Night Of The Living Dead
    I was thinking every Friday night as that card seems to be small every week.
    7F, 9F, 11F probably one each for Colts and Fillies Maybe even no Gelds as that is what is mostly running low level claimers and wouldn't take away from them
    Make the entry fee only 500 with normal payouts so the purses for these races is small and insignificant
    Try to limit these races to horses that are running times that would normally get them the chop
    10920, 13620, 15040 etc
    It would be hard to police the times but I think the small payouts would deter stables running horses that could get wins elsewhere as you would be wasting a race for basically no payout.
    It would provide a platform to keep some bloodlines alive even if the horse is not a good racer. Could even prove some to be a lot better racers than workouts show. Not allowing Gelds would mean it shouldn't take much away from the low level claimers.

Let me know what you think, I for one would like to have something like this instead of running my Colts and Fillies I want to get to 10 races in 1k claimers

I think the idea is solid in concept, but it would be impossible to filter out via workout times.

A good way to create what you are looking for is something like a dollar value purse set up 2yo maiden race. I'd suggest 6f and 9f to filter sprinters and routers (I think 3 distances makes it even harder to fill races).

The maiden tag ensures proven winners can't be dropped in, and the small purse should weed out very solid workout times. It won't be a perfect system, but with 500 entry it will allow you to give those chop block horses 2-3 cracks at seeing what makes them tick before they turn to glue.

Just my thoughts. Not sure if even my suggestion is appealing or not to the masses.

Comment

I agree it would be impossible to completely police the workout times. I also don't think it should be just horrible workout horses. I would also like to see some that maybe run a 10900 or 13600 but can't win even low claimers when they hit the track. The low payout would mean that all you would accomplish running better horses is getting a win.

I like the maiden idea. That with the low payout and excluding Gelds, which we could police effectively, would set it up in theory to get only the horses I would want to run.

All ideas and criticism is welcome. Thanks for your input SJS. My main reason for this is most of my best breeders from my creates from my first season ran times above 10900 13600 15000 but ended up winning some 1k, 3k, 6k claimers and now are producing breeds that are running good numbers and showing the heart on the track that the sires and mares showed even though their workout times were not up to par.

Comment

Working...
      X